The International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) is a regional intergovernmental learning and knowledge sharing centre serving the eight regional member countries of the Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH) – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan. In partnership with regional and international organizations, ICIMOD aims to influence policy and practices to meet environmental and livelihood challenges emerging in the HKH. ICIMOD serves as a platform for researchers, practitioners, and policymakers from the region and around the globe to generate and share knowledge, support evidence-based decision making, and encourage regional cooperation. ICIMOD seeks to reduce poverty and vulnerability and improve the lives and livelihoods of mountain communities, now and in the future. ICIMOD delivers impact through its six Regional Programmes: 1) Adaptation and Resilience Building, 2) Transboundary Landscapes, 3) River Basins and Cryosphere, 4) Atmosphere, 5) Mountain Environment Regional Information System, and 6) Mountain Knowledge and Action Networks. These regional programmes are supported by four Thematic Areas: Livelihoods, Ecosystem Services, Water and Air, and Geospatial Solutions, and by the Knowledge Management and Communication (KMC) unit.
KMC is responsible for media-related activities and outreach events, developing content, maintaining the internal and external websites, and preparing and distributing technical publications and other informational material in line with ICIMOD’s branding policy.
Responsibilities and tasks
The Editorial Officer and Publication Coordinator is responsible for managerial and editorial tasks under the direct supervision of the Senior Editor and in collaboration with the publications team. S/he should have excellent writing and communications skills in English and be familiar with publishing and editing practices. S/he should have an instinct for organizing ideas and be able to package them in audience-appropriate ways.
The position has two components. As Editorial Officer, the candidate will spend a significant amount of time editing and revising ICIMOD knowledge products. As Publications Coordinator, the candidate will oversee the publication pipeline to shepherd ICIMOD manuscripts through the publication and layout processes, while ensuring they adhere to ICIMOD’s publication standards (or journal standards, as the case may be).
Specifically, the Publication Coordination Officer will:
- Manage the ICIMOD general publications dashboard, communicate with authors, and liaise between authors and the layout staff
- Edit, finalize, oversee production, and ensure overall quality, logic, and consistency of ICIMOD’s long-form publications, including technical reports, internal reports, and journal articles and book chapters, rewriting and tailoring language to different users as required
- Supervise external editing consultants
- Evaluate publications to ensure consistency of brand application and oversee the use of ICIMOD’s brand design in all areas of ICIMOD’s work
- Edit press releases, general audience articles, media background materials, and other materials
- Provide support as required for the smooth operation of ICIMOD’s publishing workflow
- Provide other editorial support and undertake related duties as required
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience in English, communications, environmental science, or a related field
- At least three years of work experience in English-language publishing, editing, and writing
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Ability to work effectively in a team and independently with strong organizational skills and an eye for detail
- Ability to use common office and communication software
- Cross cultural impact: Ability to adapt personal style, manner, and communication to accommodate various cultures. Ability to modify methods based on local customs and practices and find solutions in cases of misunderstanding
- Focus on results: Ability to work independently with initiative, discipline, and self-motivation, taking responsibility for fulfilling goals
- Teamwork and cooperation: Ability to work effectively and smoothly across teams with intercultural sensitivity to build an inclusive work environment
- Analytical thinking: Ability to set priorities and analyse data to include different viewpoints in decision-making
- Networking/stakeholder management: Ability to maintain existing ties and communicate effectively with stakeholders and other external parties
- Impactful communication: Ability to listen and discuss and present ideas effectively in a team
- Continuous improvement and innovation: Ability to implement new technologies and approaches and see opportunities and to question status quo practices and assumptions
The duty station is Kathmandu, Nepal
The contract duration is 2 years, beginning with a probation period of 6 months and with a possibility of extension subject to performance and ICIMOD’s future funding levels. The contract start date is as early as possible.
ICIMOD’s salaries and benefits are competitive with those at other regional organizations; remuneration is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Gender and Equity Policy
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD upholds a gender equity policy and is supportive of women professionals. It operates a day care centre on its campus and is committed to gender equity.
Method of application
Applicants are requested to apply online before 01 Jul 2018 through ICIMOD’s online application system.
Please be informed that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted regarding further processes.