With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
EDF pioneered the NGO/corporate partnership model, and over the past twenty years has worked with leading companies to reduce the environmental impacts of products and services and incorporate environmental considerations into business decisions. Our projects are designed to achieve significant environmental results, generate business benefits for our corporate partners, and create new industry-wide best practices. For more information on our work and examples of past and current partnerships, visit www.edf.org/approach/partnerships/corporate.
EDF’s Supply Chain team is focused on making everyday products safer and healthier, by improving the way they are designed, produced, distributed, and consumed. The Project Manager will play a critical role in the development, execution, and replication of our forest and agriculture work. Under the supervision of the Senior Manager on the Corporate Partnerships team, based in Bentonville, this position will use business, financial, policy and technical experience and knowledge to independently guide and manage key work streams. The incumbent will develop recommendations and action steps using advanced knowledge gleaned from previous experience, key stakeholders, and EDF staff. Project outcomes must be practically and technically sound from a business and operational perspective, and yet aggressively address environmental concerns.
- Manage EDF’s work advising Walmart on their development of an action plan to reach its 2020 deforestation commitments, including an implementation and measurement plan
- Lead meetings and workshops with other private sector companies to support EDF’s Global Climate efforts and achieve our deforestation-free supply chain programmatic goals
- Create demand within the private sector for jurisdictional/territorial approaches to sourcing deforestation-free commodities, particularly in Brazil
- Work with multi-stakeholder organizations such as The Sustainability Consortium to measure and track progress on deforestation, drive demand for zero deforestation products, and ensure progress on EDF’s sustainable agriculture goals
- Manage agriculture-related project work to support EDF’s Sustainable Sourcing Initiative, including EDF’s participation in multi-stakeholder efforts, leveraging the supply chain to accomplish EDF’s programmatic goals
- Communicate various project goals and results to EDF staff, companies, policymakers, companies, environmental groups, the media and the public through reports, interviews, presentations, and other methods
- Play an integral role in other activities including fundraising, evaluating and recommending new project ideas; disseminating and communicating project results; and being a team player in the development of a vibrant and entrepreneurial Supply Chain program
- Serve as our liaison and coordinate EDF’s efforts with key external stakeholders including The Sustainability Consortium and other NGOs
- Develop and manage relationships, subject matter experts, and relevant academic/research communities to generate actions related to project
- Work in close collaboration with EDF’s experts in global climate and ecosystems
- At least four or more years of experience, or advanced degree in a related field with at least two years’ experience, including knowledge of deforestation, climate and agriculture issues;
- Experience in project management and exceptional personal organization and attention to detail;
- An ability to work on multiple projects concurrently, both independently and as a member of small teams in a dynamic and creative environment;
- Strong analytical skills and experience performing rigorous analysis in support of highly visible work;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience;
- Ability to juggle many tasks and deadlines and to respond quickly to changing opportunities;
- A broad understanding of environmental issues and demonstrated ability to collaborate with diverse scientists, NGOs, and/or industrial stakeholders in large-scale, multi-initiative studies;
- Preference will be given to applicants who have experience in executing activities in an international setting;
- Preference will be given to applicants who have a competency in a foreign language.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense is an Equal Opportunity Employer