LOCATION: One posting in Masindi; one posting in Kiryandongo
POSITION START: September 1, 2016
The Water Trust develops and implements Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) projects to combat disease and poverty in the developing world and allow people to live empowered lives of dignity. The Water Trust collaborates with the local government, village leaders and community members to enable village, schools, and health centers to create access to safe water, latrines, and hygiene education. Since 2008, The Water Trust has implemented more than 300 projects in Western Uganda, benefitting more than 120,000 people. Headquartered in New York, The Water Trust aims to be a leader in pioneering innovative new approaches to help foster healthy communities.
The Water Trust seeks two Community Development Officers (CDOs) with a focus on WASH to support rural communities to maintain improved water sources, eliminate open defecation, and engage in healthy hygiene behaviors. The ideal candidate will have the interpersonal skills and subject matter expertise necessary to build relationships with rural communities and provide participatory training and coaching.
MAJOR FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Mobilize and sensitize communities on good health and WASH practices such as being an open defecation free community, good hand washing practices, sleeping under bednets, etc.
- Facilitate the establishment of community partnerships to build sustainable WASH infrastructures
- Ensure 100% latrine coverage within communities.
- Train and establish community management structures e.g. Water and Sanitation Committees (WSC) to ensure functional and reliable water points.
- Conduct pre and post intervention monitoring of Community WASH activities in coordination with the M&E department and maintain databases of all the community projects.
- Implement in assigned communities the TWT WASH behavior change strategy and program.
- Develop and submit progress reports on Community WASH activities to meet organization reporting needs.
- Undertake any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by your supervisor
THE PERSON’S PROFILE
- Minimum of a diploma in environmental health science, public health or any discipline related to Water, Hygiene and Sanitation and two years of field experience OR the equivalent of five years of relevant field experience.
- Experience implementing WASH projects (including health and sanitation marketing, hygiene promotion and behavior change communication) on behalf of an international development organization.
- Strong knowledge and skills in WASH and health promotion approaches, such as Community Led Total Sanitation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Comfortable and capable adapting work and priorities to respond to changing situations in order to advance organizational goals and objectives.
- Strong computer skills, notably in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Able to both work independently with minimum supervision and as part of a larger team.
- Good spoken and written English.
- Possesses a valid riding permit and knowledge of road rules.
- Experience utilizing participatory training methodologies to equip community-based groups in the financial and operational management of improved water sources.
- Good facilitation skills.
- Knowledge of the Masindi and Kiryandongo and local languages.
Click the link below and complete the application by August 6, 2016, at 5 p.m. East African Time. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No paper copy applications will be considered.
Due to the number of applications received, we are not able to respond to each application.