Our unique approach to citizenship is rooted in the entertainment that we create and the special relationship we have with kids and families around the world. Our assets and our reach provide us with an opportunity to inspire audiences everywhere to join us in taking action and caring for the world we share. This opportunity to inspire guides our work across citizenship. It is at the core of our citizenship mission to conduct our business and create products in an ethical manner and promote the happiness and well-being of kids and families everywhere.
Our commitment to environmental stewardship focuses on using resources wisely and protecting the planet as we operate and grow our business. Environmental Sustainability, part of the Disney Enterprise Social Responsibility, is responsible for supporting the Company’s focus on its environmental goals. This group leads the ongoing development of Disney’s environmental footprint assessment and collaborates with business units to create metrics and processes that will enable the company to achieve aggressive goals to reduce its environmental impact.
Current projects include conducting greenhouse gas emissions, water, and waste inventories enterprise wide; developing strategies to reduce our environmental footprint; evaluating new project designs for sustainability; and researching emerging environmental sustainability issues.
A Day in the Life…
The Environmental Sustainability Graduate Intern’s primary focus will be to:
- Assist with data collection for the Greenhouse Gas Inventory. This involves interacting with over 50 data providers, compiling and organizing data, data entry, quality assurance and quality control
- Assist with waste, water, and production inventories
- Track, analyze, and report on Disney’s environmental targets on GHG, water, and waste
- Assist in evaluating sustainability standards and developing benchmarks and metrics
- Assist in establishing sustainability best practices knowledge base for new assets
- Research emerging environmental trends and issues
- Assist in internal communication efforts including the preparation of quarterly reports, figures, and data analysis
What we are looking for…
- Previous experience with sustainability, climate change, corporate citizenship, and environmental issues (regulations, developing legislation, industry trends)
- Strong technical and analytical skills, with experience collecting, validating, analyzing, reporting, and summarizing data. Experience in converting various units of measurement (i.e. volume to mass conversions, metric and American, etc.)
- Experience analyzing data using Excel (pivot tables, charts, formulas)
- Interested in applying an analytical education to environmental issues; such as waste, water resources management and climate change.
- Strong skills in process management, documentation, and communication skills
- Excellent ability to create organized, comprehensive, and clear briefs
- Familiarity with environmental data reporting
- Knowledge in Sustainable Design and Green building certification
- Experience in graphic design for infographics or presentations
- Experience with data analysis using R or Python code
- Knowledge of Building Energy Modeling Software tools
- Currently enrolled in an accredited college or university and taking at least one class, or be a recent graduate of an accredited college or university within the last six (6) months at time of application, or be currently participating in the Disney College Program, Disney Culinary Program or Disney Professional Internship Program
- Currently a graduate student working on a degree in engineering, environmental science, environmental engineering, sustainability, data analytics or a closely related field
- The approximate dates of this internship are September 2018 through early January 2019
- Candidate must be available to work part time hours (approximately 24-32 hours per week) for the duration of the internship
- Able to provide own housing and transportation in the Burbank area
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must be at least 18 years of age
Required Materials – PDF version of resume and the most recent copy of your transcripts must be uploaded at the time of application.
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Worldwide Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
Disney Worldwide Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.