ACOBS is one of the world’s largest and most diverse providers of technical and management services. We offer a full-spectrum of consultancy support to commercial, government and industrial clients across many sectors. It is a leading service provider in planning and environmental consultancy and advice, supporting projects at all stages from initial conception through to construction and maintenance, across the UK and internationally.
At Jacobs we provide the resources to turn great ideas into reality, and we’re looking for the most talented and passionate individuals out there to be our next generation of leaders.
Our Sustainable Strategies and Solutions business provides a focus for advising our clients on sustainability issues including renewable energy, low carbon economies, impacts of climate change and waste and resource management. Our environmental capabilities comprise of in excess of 1000 staff based predominantly in the UK, but with reach into the Middle East and in India.
To meet our growing UK business needs and future development aspirations we are looking for Principal Flood Risk Management Specialists in both our Glasgow and Manchester (Salford) offices. The successful individuals will support a range of projects for clients in major public and private sector organisations and will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
Applications are welcomed from candidates who are seeking reduced hours contracts and those returning from a career break. We offer flexible working patterns and will discuss these options and the support available with candidates at interview.
You will be leading projects for local authorities, water companies and major infrastructure developers and you will also work with other disciplines within the group to deliver projects for major infrastructure clients.
- Appraisal of flood risk costs and benefits
- Project management and/or technical leadership, including oversight of hydrological, hydraulic and environmental inputs, on a variety of flood risk management projects such as:
- Surface Water Management Plans
- Flood Risk Management Strategies
- Business Case Reports
- Flood Risk Assessments
- Development of options to manage flood risk, including resistance and resilience measures
- Technical and business case reporting
- Liaising with clients, hydraulic modellers, project managers and other design team members
- Client liaison, including giving high quality planning advice for major infrastructure projects, e.g. rail, road, utilities schemes
- Quality Assurance on project deliverables
- Line management of Flood Risk Management Specialists and technical development of less experienced colleagues in the team
- Identify and pursue new business opportunities and support sales opportunities across the wider business.
- Experience in preparing cost benefit analyses and business cases for flood risk management schemes
- High quality degree relevant to the water environment
- Chartered through a relevant Professional Institution
- Proven ability to coordinate multi-disciplinary teams in the development of solutions
- Post Graduate qualification in a related subject
- Project Management qualification (e.g. APM or PRINCE2)
- Knowledge of hydraulic modelling packages used for mitigation option appraisal
- Preparation of Project Appraisal Reports to Flood and Coastal Erosion Risk Management (FCERM) guidance processes – PAR and 5CBM
- Understanding of Flood Estimation Handbook Techniques
- GIS skills
- Knowledge and experience of the planning system relating to flood risk management
At Jacobs, we help prepare people for new opportunities and challenges. With positions at every level, openings in multiple disciplines, expertise in a range of markets and offices around the globe, we create an environment where you can learn, grow, and thrive. From our competitive benefits program to our Health and Safety initiative of Beyond Zero workplace injuries, we believe that you’ll find a flourishing career here at Jacobs.
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.
JACOBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer who is committed to the safety and wellbeing of all.