Reputation is recognized as a key driver of the growth and profitability of our company and our brands, as well as the new categories we are entering. The positive work we do in Sustainability as a transversal and integral component of our business is proven (S&I’s Elites Tracker) to have a ‘halo’ effect on the company and the brand by encompassing the three key reputation drivers of our business: recyclability, local production/sourcing, and emissions/climate change. In addition, despite the positive work done in this area there are still significant risks posed to business operations and reputation (i.e. packaging).
This role is responsible for leading the strategic development of our work in Sustainability, directly touching at least on three of our four business priorities: “higher revenue, more choice, less sugar, no waste”. The role will be responsible and accountable for driving the sustainability agenda in the Western Europe Business Unit, while selectively supporting other EMEA territories through the Public Policy Center (the position has a dotted reporting line to the head of the PPC). It will work directly with the PACS BU team, PACS Operations leads, the EMEA Public Policy Center and, very important, our bottling partners to determine key priorities in this area as well as aligning on targets. It will collaborate with Bottlers and BUs to ensure we remain on track, and will work with marketing, technical, customer teams and markets to ensure we tell our story to all audiences.
The look of success is that we timely meet our Sustainability commitments as expressed in our strategy This is Forward (this includes our World Without Waste pledges too) and, by 2025, stakeholders, customers, and employees know and say that Coca-Cola plays a leading positive role in the environment and the community.
Its main areas of focus are:
• Strategic prioritization: Working directly with Communications Directors, Operations PAC Directors, Bottling partners and Corporate, this role will support the implementation of the strategic framework for packaging through World Without Waste (WWW) and of our joint sustainability strategy with CCEP, This is Forward (TiF), which adds drinks, society, water, climate and supply chain to the mix. Playing a key role in any governance structure or steering committee to be set up with CCEP.
• Supporting the EMEA Public Policy Center: Leading/coordinating an internal (across multiple BU’s and corporate) network of SME’s on the various sustainability areas: water, packaging, sourcing, community, packaging, H&W etc. Also, building capabilities throughout the EMEA PAC/Sustainability community.
• Stakeholder outreach: Working key influencers to tell them our sustainability story externally at key events and representing the company in agreed strategic industry bodies, as well as supporting prioritized markets in identifying local key stakeholders, tracking progress, and in building relationships with these key players.
• Foundation: Maximizing the strategic alignment and scale of the Coca-Cola Foundation activities in Western Europe and ensuring the necessary degree of coordination with the rest of EMEA. Coordinating the allocation of the Foundation’s grants.
• Content Development: Working in partnership with Marketing, Communications, the PPC, customer teams and franchise operations to provide proofpoints on the System’s actions to be deployed by markets – to include narrative, Q&A, videos, conference materials, etc. to tell the environment and community story to key stakeholders, both internal (i.e. customer and commercial) and external (i.e. NGOs).
• Tracking and measuring – Collaborating with Bottling partners and Operations PAC directors the role will oversee and report the realization of our key targets and lead Technical and marketing to track progress.
Function Specific Activities:
• Strategic prioritization – 35%
• Supporting the EMEA Public Policy Center – 30%
• Stakeholder outreach – 10%
• Foundation work – 10%
• Content Development – 10%
• Tracking – 5%
- Dealing with one of the most critical cross-business imperatives – to drive reputation across Coca-Cola and to build corporate trust. This requires sophisticated interpersonal skills coupled with excellent commercial knowledge and exceptional strategic thinking. This role will have to deal with multiple agendas (bottler and company) and have the ability to influence at the most senior levels.
- This role will make a significant contribution to the Global PACS (Bea Perez)’s office and will work directly with other Groups.
- This role must have the ability to build and execute a clear strategic plan, couple with the flexibility to adjust to changing external environments. Although not a new area, this role must bring a freshness and clarity of thinking to be able to galvanise the system.
- This will require very strong interpersonal skills coupled with good commercial acumen and PAC strength.
- Risk management knowledge.
JUDGEMENT AND DECISION MAKING
- Strategic Planning
- Influencing key decision makers
- Resource allocation (budget, supplier, agency)
- This role must bring about a fundamental change in:
- New ways of thinking, planning and operating across LT/PAC/Marketing/Technical and Bottlers to achieve the sustainability growth objectives ensure a full 360 reach.
Leader/Coordinator of a cross functional team working on sustainability across the different markets.
QUALIFICATIONS / COMPENTENCIES / SKILLS:
Leader of Others
- Strong strategic thinking in the area of reputation.
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation and coaching and development skills
- Clear and compelling communications skills
- Curiosity for new ways of working to find innovative solutions to overcome barriers to growth
- Smart risk taking and risk management
RELATED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS/ QUALIFICATIONS:
- 10+ years’ experience in PACS.
- Experience in working to develop fully integrated plans to drive clear, measurable outcomes in markets on business critical issues. Must have an understanding of European politics. Likely to have held a PACS Director role at market level.
- Knowledge of environmental issues and policies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to communicate complex issues to drive tangible business actions.
- University/Bachelors degree (Required)
- Postgraduate/Masters degree (Desirable)
- Must be fluent in English and have a good working understanding of the cultural diversity across Europe and beyond.
- Must be conversant in the EU landscape.
Supporting the EMEA Public Policy Center
Tracking and measurement
Years of Experience:
7-10 Years Experience
- DRIVE INNOVATION: Generate new or unique solutions and embrace new ideas that help sustain our business(encompassing everything from continuous improvement to new product and package innovation).
- COLLABORATE WITH SYSTEM, CUSTOMERS, AND OTHER STAKEHOLDERS: Develop and leverage relationships with stakeholders to approximately stretch and impact the System (Company and Bottler).
- ACT LIKE AN OWNER: Deliver results, creating value for our Brands, our System, our customers, and key stakeholders.
- INSPIRE OTHERS: Inspire people to deliver our mission and 2020 Vision, demonstrate passion for the business and give people a reason to believe anything is possible.
- DEVELOP SELF AND OTHERS: Develop self and support others’ development to achieve full potential.
- GROWTH MINDSET: Demonstrates curiosity. Welcomes failure as a learning opportunity.
- SMART RISK: Makes bold decisions/recommendations.
- EXTERNALLY FOCUSED: Understands the upstream and downstream implications of his/her work. Tracks and shares external trends, best practices or ideas.
- PERFORMANCE DRIVEN AND ACCOUNTABLE: Has high performance standards. Outperforms her/his peers.
- FAST/AGILE: Removes barriers to move faster. Experiments and adapts. Thrives under pressure and fast pace.
- EMPOWERED: Brings solutions instead of problems. Challenges the status quo. Has the courage to take an unpopular stance.