Impact Carbon’s mission is to improve health and the environment in developing countries through clean energy projects that reduce carbon emissions. Impact Carbon generates carbon emission reductions from household energy projects that improve living conditions in the less- developed communities we serve. We leverage the financial returns from these projects to benefit local partners and people.
Typical Impact Carbon projects involve scaling the sales and distribution of efficient appliances such as healthy cook stoves and water treatment devices. Impact Carbon works with investors, project developers, philanthropists and NGOs to quantify the carbon emissions reduced by our projects and to verify them and uphold rigorous carbon standards.
Impact Carbon is headquartered in San Francisco, California with an office in Kampala, Uganda.
Impact Carbon has also started a social business called Impact Water. Impact Water sells, installs, maintains and repairs high-impact water purification systems to schools. Impact Water is currently working with 1,600+ schools in Uganda and has launched new country offices in 2017 in Nigeria and Kenya.
The Business Development Fellow position will be based in Kampala and will work in support of both Impact Carbon and Impact Water, with distinct responsibilities, objectives and areas of accountability and ownership, as determined by the two organizations’ needs. We believe this will provide a very exciting and dynamic work experience and environment for the Fellow and the position will be expected to lead and manage within the respective assigned areas (note: this is not an internship and no distinction is made between Fellows and other full-time expat employees).
Impact Carbon is seeking a Fellow to assist in Impact Carbon’s project operations, administration, and marketing efforts in Uganda. The Fellow’s tasks will include working directly with the Country Director to manage relationships with local manufacturing and distribution partners. This position will report to the Country Director. We are looking for someone who can make a two-year commitment to strengthening our program in Uganda.
Key responsibilities will include:
Work with existing and new manufacturing partners to increase their sales and market reach, as well as to develop and refine manufacturing, record keeping, and financial systems and processes in support of our carbon monitoring requirements and business strengthening objectives. Activities will include to:
- Participate in national forums and stakeholder meetings to keep abreast of new developments in the clean energy, improved cookstove and improved fuel space; identify opportunities to expand Impact Carbon’s impact; represent Impact Carbon externally and in coordination with the Country Director.
- Support and/or lead carbon monitoring surveys including data collection, cleaning and processing, as well as coordination with international auditors in support of verification and issuance
- Lead and manage special projects for Impact Water; areas many include mobile data platform development/rollout/improvement, new credit offers, data analytics, new product development, new sales channel development, partnerships, staff development, and/or other areas of operations, administration and finance.
- Work in close coordination with senior leadership team at Impact Water to define and execute on annual business strategy and work plan in attainment of social impact and financial objectives.
- Represent Impact Water externally and in coordination with the Country Director
Qualifications and Experience:
- Degree in business (accounting, finance or marketing), economics, or international relations; or another field but compliments by demonstrated entrepreneurial talent
- Fluency in both written and spoken English
- 1-3+ years of work experience strongly preferred
- Strong business and financial experience with excellent quantitative and analytical skills
- Experience with managing new (and ideally growing) programs/projects and/or substantial client management experience preferred
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to meet tight deadlines and multitask
- Ambitious individual who can take initiative on new projects and demonstrate strong leadership
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- High level of creativity and the desire to develop new, innovative programs
- Superior relationship management skills and the ability to hold external parties accountable to tight deadlines and regulatory requirements
- Passion for entrepreneurial approaches to global development challenges
- Interest in working and living in a bustling African capital city and contributing to the success of a proven improved cook stove project (Impact Carbon) and the scaling of an innovative safe water start-up (Impact Water)
- Must possess grit, emotional intelligence and a good sense of humor
Competitive benefits: Health insurance, flights home, and housing allowance
LEVEL OF LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY
Fluent in English
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED
HOW TO APPLY
- Please email a one-page cover letter, resume, and writing sample that demonstrates your writing capabilities to [email protected] Use the subject “Business Development Fellow” in all e- mail correspondence. No phone calls or posted mail applications, please. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Impact Carbon is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age or sexual orientation shall have equal access to positions, limited only by their ability to do the job.