FHI 360’s Crisis Response Team (CRT) is seeking a WASH Coordinator to lead the WASH component of an integrated humanitarian health, WASH, and nutrition program based in Aden, Southern Yemen. The WASH Coordinator is responsible for developing and leading technical programming, and plays a critical role in ensuring the organization’s emergency programming is responsive to the needs of disaster-affected populations in Yemen. He/she will ensure humanitarian activities are evidence-based and adhere to technical standards for the field, and as circumstances demand, engage at all stages of an emergency, from the initial acute phase through to transition and recovery, and will support technical programs from assessment and conception through close-out and evaluation.
- Lead the WASH component of the Yemen country program, with the goal of improving the wellbeing of IDPs and host communities through access to safe and adequate water, improved sanitation facilities and improved hygiene practices
- Conduct sector assessments, provide technical guidance on appropriate emergency activities, and devise sector-specific response strategies for the acute and transitional phases of emergency operations in crisis-affected communities
- Provide technical guidance on appropriate emergency activities, and devise sector-specific response strategies for the acute and transitional phases of emergency operations
- Assess municipal infrastructure and service-provider capabilities, identify support needs, service gaps, and opportunities for partnership
- Assist with resource mobilization by designing, drafting, and reviewing concept notes and technical proposals for emergency operations and related programming, as required
- Develop partnerships and ensure effective coordination with local service providers and international organizations operating in the sector and attend regional cluster meetings
- Work with operations staff and partners to ensure commodities are procured, handled, and managed properly, in accordance with the organization’s pharmaceutical supply-chain management protocols
- Manage emergency program budgets, as assigned, including routine expense forecasting and pipeline analysis
- Determine staffing needs for emergency programming, conduct recruitment in collaboration with management and home office technical staff, as necessary
- Manage field personnel supporting emergency programming
- During startup and launch phase, management and technical oversight of program teams
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Bachelor's Degree or its International Equivalent in Economics, Education, Environment, Health, Human Development, Information Science, International Development, Social Sciences or Related Field**
- 5-8 years of experience leading complex on-site emergency response WASH projects and/or programs**
- Experience coordinating complex programs with a wide variety of stakeholders; experience as WASH cluster co-lead preferred
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private company of progressive program management experience in humanitarian assistance or related industry experience in a relevant technical area
- Demonstrable experience designing and leading technical assessments using proven and effective methodologies such as SMART and SQUEAC and/or cultural practices; strong background in outcome monitoring and evaluation preferred
- Knowledge of US Agency for International Development (USAID)/Office of US Foreign Disaster Assistance (OFDA) proposal and application guidelines essential
- Knowledge and application of Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS), Sphere standards and Red Cross/NGO Code of Conduct
- Ability to deploy to the field to austere and/or insecure locations with minimal infrastructure or amenities
- Skilled in developing responsive, evidence-based program designs, including budget development
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English. Arabic highly desirable
** Or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience sufficient to successfully perform the key responsibilities of the job.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.