A position exists within the PICC’s Technical Unit for a Water Specialist in the Water Sector at the PICC (Presidential Infrastructure Co-ordinating Commission) Offices in Sandton and Pretoria. This position will be based on a Three year (36 month) fixed term contract.
Key Performance Areas include, but is not limited to:
• Engagements with national departments, state-owned entities, provinces, municipalities, external forums and private sector to collect information on water projects and do special investigations/reports.
• Review quarterly SIP reports, with a special emphasis on water projects across all the SIPs.
• Manage investigative assignments linked to the National Infrastructure Plan as directed, on water related projects.
• Identify opportunities for acceleration of water projects, including the mega projects identified at the Cabinet Lekgotla in February 2016.
• Site inspection of water related projects as directed by the PICC management.
• Unblock issues causing implementation delays or obtain clarity on issues raised from time to time, as directed.
• Support the implementation of PICC decisions.
• Improve and support technical work of the PICC technical team and understanding of strategic water demand and supply and intervene as required.
• Provide technical reports to PICC, as directed.
• Provide inputs in the Adjudication of construction tenders;
• Development of pragmatic systems engineering and project management processes and techniques to deploy infrastructure projects successfully.
• Promote sound life-cycle Infrastructure Asset Management practices by all organs of State.
Behavioural & Technical Competencies
• Creative Leadership;
• Business Management; and
• Excellent Negotiation Skills.
• The ability to lead teams to get projects to bankability and through construction.
• The ability to do root cause analysis and interventions for projects in distress.
• The Ability to work as an individual, but also in a complex team environment.
• Good technical report writing skills and attention to detail.
Experience and Knowledge
• 5-7 years of service within the Department of Water Affairs or in the Water Sector.
• Must have served as Director/Chief Director for at least 5 years;
• Project and Project Risk Management experience
• Proven competence at Senior Management Level;
• Dispute Resolution in Engineering and Construction Contracts; and
• MUST have an in-depth understanding of the type of work done by the PICC, especially within the water sector.
• A well-established understanding of Sustainable Development of large Water projects;
• Dam monitoring and surveillance (Life –cycle Asset Management);
• Recognised as an expert in the development and management of large water resource infrastructure;
• Engineering degree or equivalent.
• Post Graduate Training will be beneficial.
• Registered as Professional Engineer (Pr. Eng) with the Engineering Council of South Africa.