The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is looking for a highly motivated individual with exceptional capacity to analyze existing and emerging business cases and their business models in the interface of sanitation, waste management and agriculture, and to explore options for resource recovery and reuse (RRR) of organic waste, including excreta and wastewater, in urban and peri-urban low-income settings with a regional emphasis on South Asia/India.
The position holder will be based at IWMI’s headquarters in Colombo, Sri Lanka, or IWMI Office in New Delhi, India.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support the quantitative and qualitative analysis of existing enterprises and projects in the sanitation-agriculture interface to understand the building blocks of their business models, addressing technical, economic, financial and institutional limitations and opportunities.
- Develop scenarios for innovative models to increase their replicability, scalability and impact.
- Undertake or coordinate RRR feasibility studies for business model implementation, including the design and supervision of field data collection and analysis.
- Work within a multidisciplinary team on the recovery of water, nutrients, organic matter and energy from waste, and jointly collect and analyze data.
- Liaise with public and private sector stakeholders on the awareness, study and possible implementation of RRR business models.
- Prepare scientific reports and articles, and represent IWMI, as required, at national and international events, roundtables and workshops.
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS , EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Masters or PhD in business development, administration, civil engineering, economy or a related discipline.
- Minimum of 6-10 years of professional experience in the private sector or as a social entrepreneur and/or in research in the area of expertize outlined above.
- Experience in the sanitation, energy, fertilizer or waste (water) sectors
- Excellent written and spoken English; other languages would be an additional advantage.
- A proven record of project management ability in low-income countries.
- Knowledge of business process modeling tools for scenario building.
- Proven ability to write winning proposals, scientific papers and donor reports.