The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) is looking for a highly competent individual with exceptional capacity to analyze finance options, and financial, institutional and regulatory incentives and barriers to accessing and scaling investments in water, sanitation and waste management infrastructure, with a special focus on resource recovery and reuse (RRR). The person should also be able to research market trends and institutional opportunities for public-private partnerships (PPPs) and their value for improving service delivery by leveraging private capital for investment costs in the water, sanitation and waste sectors.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct industry, regulatory and market research.
- Develop business models and analyze national investment climates for the water, waste and sanitation sectors.
- Analyze historical and projected financial statements of sector companies, and create financial models and business plans across private and public sectors.
- Analyze constraints and finance/regulatory/policy incentives for up-scaling, e.g., RRR investments and business models.
- Support the collaboration with research uptake partners (development banks, international financial institutions, private and public sectors) via advisory services such as RRR feasibility studies for business model implementation.
- Publish research results in international journals, and contribute to RRR Publication Series and other flagship products of the International Water Management Institute (IWMI) and the CGIAR Research Program on Water, Land and Ecosystems (WLE).
- Contribute to and lead projects for IWMI and WLE.
- Work within multi-disciplinary teams to deliver results, and develop new research ideas, publications and proposals.
- Fulfil science and general management duties by working with colleagues in science uptake, communications, human resources, finance, and program and data management.
- Liaison with partners, other IWMI Strategic Programs and donors.
- Contribute to the capacity building of colleagues, students and interns.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Master’s degree or PhD in business/development, economics or equivalent, or MBA or engineering degree.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in corporate or investment analysis or banking.
- Sound analytical and conceptual skills encompassing finance and the associated areas of financial investment, corporate finance and economics
- Aptitude in basic financial software applications
- Investment planning and financial modeling skills.
- Excellent command of both oral and written English.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel financial modeling skills.
- Experience in procurement and expertise in social impact assessment or resource economics are desirable.