WaterAid maintaining its profile as a leader in the WASH sector in Nigeria requires that we design and implement all our programmes in a manner that constantly demonstrates needs driven innovation to maximize our effectiveness and impact. This role will be expected to serve as WANG’s in house business development expert and will bring strong private sector type thinking to all our programmatic priorities and internal processes.
The role will assume full responsibility for gradually building WaterAid Nigeria’s niche as a leader in applying private sector driven thinking and approaches to the design and delivery of high quality water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) services. The role will also be responsible for coordinating and providing technical guidance to WaterAid staff and partners on how to effectively engage with private sector actors to provide WASH solutions.
Working in close collaboration with the WaterAid Nigeria Programmes team, the Business Development Adviser will:
- Identify and propose approaches for attracting private sector support to WaterAid Nigeria programmes and strategy
- Develop innovative options for integrating private sector led/driven initiatives for scaling and growing their contribution to Water, Sanitation & Hygiene access in Nigeria
- Initiate/participate in in national and state level events to promote WaterAid water, sanitation and hygiene models and approaches especially sanitation marketing
- Establish and build effective collaborations with academic institutions, technology developers, research institutes and private researchers to improve market led models for delivering WASH solutions
- Maximize opportunities to document and share knowledge on innovative WASH models through workshops, seminars, sharing meetings, webinars and other learning platforms.
To be successful, you’ll need:
- A master’s degree in the social sciences, development studies, business administration or project management
- Minimum seven years’ post -graduation experience preferably in a consulting, marketing, social entrepreneurship or business development type role.
- Experience with conducting market research, analysis of strategic business risk and with designing best fit approaches for mitigating business risk.
- Sound understanding of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene sector and wider development issues.
- Sound knowledge of development project management approaches; designing new products for specific markets and use of research outcomes to provide evidence for decision making.
- Full commitment to WaterAid’s vision, mission and values and a way of working that demonstrates this, with the ability to communicate this enthusiasm to others.
Find the job description below for full details of the role.
We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed. In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation.
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your application, consisting of a letter of interest and a CV to [email protected] with the job title as the subject of the email.
Please note: to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Nigeria.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
No recruitment agencies please.