Oxfam is a vibrant global movement of passionate, dedicated people fighting poverty together. People power drives everything we do. From saving lives and developing projects that put poor people in charge of their lives and livelihoods, to campaigning for change that lasts. That’s Oxfam in action. If you share this vision and commitment, then you are exactly who we are looking for.
Working with us is so much more than having an eight-to-five job. As an employee, you are joining a team of professionals in more than 90 countries in the world who are all committed to delivering lasting change to end world poverty and injustice. Working for Oxfam will give you opportunities to enrich your career across different programmes and focus areas. Thousands of people have already joined and have committed their time, talents and expertise to change lives around the world. Now, we’re challenging you to contribute yours.
- Undertake and provide the necessary support to Oxfam and Partners for the fulfilment of the construction works in accordance with Oxfam and partner agreed standards. Among others, in the: a) technical design and program of works (detailed engineering design), b) preparation and compliance with the necessary permits and approvals, c) contract preparation and procurement of the contractor and/or materials, d) supervise and ensure quality in the construction, rehabilitations, commissioning and turn-over of the WASH activities of the project
- Provide guidance to partners in ensuring completeness of “Construction folder” per barangay compiling the documentations of permits, water tests result and other relevant information as proof of compliance to the law
- Report regularly, both verbally and in writing, to the relevant partners and Oxfam Partnership Relations Manager on the progress and matters related to the scope of work
- Prepare and agree on a monthly work plan indicating activities and field work based on 3.1 with the Oxfam Partnership Relations Manager
- Ensure that gender and protection issues are fully taken into account and with the partners, and ensure the participation of women in decision making around public health engineering issues
- Abide by the NGO/Red Cross Code of Conduct, the People in Aid Code, Oxfam International procedures and other regulatory codes (e.g. InterAction Field Co-operation Protocol) and ways of working that may be required by the partners
- Fulfil the foregoing the consultant will have extensive, extended and frequent travel to the project sites
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- An academic background on civil engineering (with experience in water and sanitation). Computer drawing skills would be an advantage
- Good understanding of the public health needs of poor rural and urban communities and of appropriate ways of tackling them. Aware of and sensitive to the particular needs of women in this context
- Practical experience in appropriate water systems, sanitation, hygiene promotion and environmental sanitation in a community development context
- Understanding of basic monitoring processes, learning, adaptation and evaluation
- The ability to present concise reports, sometimes at short notice, reflecting the problems and possible solutions for particular situations with good written and spoken English
- Well-developed interpersonal and team skills and proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations. Diplomacy, tact and administrative skills in order to work with people at managerial and, on occasions, senior government levels
- Be familiar with and abide by the NGO/Red Cross Code of Conduct, the People in Aid Code, Oxfam International procedures and other regulatory codes (e.g. InterAction Field Co-operation Protocol)
- Sympathy with the aims and objectives of the social development movement, Oxfam and commitment to humanitarian principles and action
- Willingness to work in insecure environments and a high level of adaptability and initiative
Contract Length: Six months
Successful candidate will be subject to screening process and satisfactory reference check from current and previous supervisors. We will review applications before the deadline due to the urgency of this role.