Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB’s mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB’s main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 members .
The position is assigned in the Water Sector Group (WSG) of the Sector Advisory Service Cluster within the Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department. The Sustainable Development and Climate Change Department provides leadership, innovation, and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work. The Sector Advisory Service Cluster (SDSC) is responsible for providing policy advice, operational support, and knowledge expertise in mainstreaming priorities in the education, energy, finance, health, transport, urban, and water sectors in ADB operations.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a 3-year special fixed-term appointment. At the end of the period, the appointment may, at the option of ADB, be extended on exceptional basis for a further fixed period or allowed to lapse. A special fixed-term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the original or extended term. If the successful candidate is an ADB staff member holding a regular appointment, his/her regular appointment will be converted to a special fixed-term appointment.
Position title upon appointment is Senior Water Supply and Sanitation Specialist.
The Senior Sanitation Specialist will lead the project implementation, policy and advocacy work, institutional development and technical design and operation be engaged to provide a more direct and meaningful link between the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) and ADB in fulfilling the mutual goal of advancing work in fecal sludge management (FSM) focusing on non-networked sanitation options and septage management covering project development and implementation, capacity development, policy and reforms, and knowledge and technology dissemination. He/She will also provide support for the management of the Sanitation Financing Partnership Trust Fund under the Water Financing Partnership Facility. The expert will report to Chief of Water Sector Group.
- Lead the development of ADB strategy for expanding FSM investment portfolio and the complementary policy and regulatory regime and capacity development interventions.
- Provide expert advice to regional departments on opportunities for investments in FSM. During the project preparation stage, provide technical inputs on suitability of design and sustainability plans of proposed facilities.
- Support project implementation including identification of possible bottlenecks, recommendation on suitable action to address such issues. As needed, intervene to address specific problems that delay project implementation.
- Provide guidance on the design and implementation of project components or stand-alone technical assistance aimed at building capacity for improved sanitation as well as advancing policy and institutional reforms.
- Support development of knowledge management program aimed at keeping sanitation high on development agenda, including facilitating engagement with knowledge partners and centers of excellence, and development of guidance note on good FSM practices
- Proactively review the pipeline of urban water supply and sanitation loans and technical assistance (TA) with a view to assessing which ones have the potential to include FSM
- Provide expert support in the field when and where required during implementation of stand-alone sanitation investment projects or multi-sector projects with significant sanitation component
- Develop a sustained program for knowledge dissemination within and outside ADB particularly to share good practices and lessons learned, including appropriate technologies and business models for expanding sanitation, focusing on FSM practices which may include development of tools for integrating FSM in water and sanitation and other urban infrastructure development projects
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s degree or equivalent, in Sanitary or Environmental Engineering, or other related fields. University degree in Civil Engineering or other related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant professional experience including international work experience in the field of sanitation with demonstrated experience in institutional, technical, and financing aspects of project development and implementation. Experience on Fecal Sludge Management (FSM) is desirable.
- Good understanding of technical design, O&M plans and evaluate project costs. Experience with a wastewater operator is a plus.
- Strong analytical skills as evidenced by publications and/or business writing samples.
- International experience working in several countries.
- Extensive knowledge of the sanitation sector – the main players, and the existing knowledge networks.
- Proven communications and interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a team in a multi-cultural environment.
- Willing to travel in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 5
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.