Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries or RMCs). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative interventions that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In addition to providing finance, the Bank is Africa’s voice on global economic, financial and development issues, a role that has taken significant importance in light of increasing global integration and interconnection. In order to sharply focus on the objectives of the Ten Year Strategy TYS (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major goals (High 5s), all of which will accelerate delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up. These include: (i) Power and Light up Africa; (ii) Feed Africa; (iii) Industrialize Africa; (iv) Integrate Africa; and (v) Improve the quality of life for Africans.
The Vice-Presidency for Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDVP) is responsible for operational relevancy, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group’s operational programs and activities. The Vice-Presidency Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery will ensure that the Bank operates successfully across its RMCs and will oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank’s Regional Directorates.
The Agriculture, Human and Social Development Complex (AHVP) leads in implementing two of the five goals, namely “Feed Africa” and “Improve the Quality of Life for Africans”. The complex comprises five departments: (i) Agriculture and Agro-Industry Development; (ii) Agriculture Finance and Rural Development; (iii) Gender, Women and Civil Society; (iv) Water Development and Sanitation; and, (v) Human Capital, Youth and Skills Development.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISION:
Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex, the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Directorates, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries. The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s”. The position is under the Regional Operations Manager Agriculture (RDGS2) in the Regional Development and Business Delivery Office, South Africa (RDGS)
The mission of the Agriculture, Human and Social Development Division is to contribute to the Bank’s efforts to reduce poverty and promote sustainable development in Regional Member Countries. It does so by (1) contributing to development of country and regional strategies and building sector knowledge and (2) focusing on project/programme origination and delivery for approval of operations defined under the High 5 priorities.
The Water Development and Sanitation Department (AHWS) is responsible for the coordination of the Bank’s water development and sanitation-related activities to enhance synergies and contribute to achievement of all High 5s. Through its two Divisions: AHWS.1 for water coordination and partnerships, and AHWS2 for water security and sanitation, and the African Water Facility (AWF), the Department supports regional hubs in the development and promotion of new knowledge, capacity, approaches and tools for green and inclusive water resources development and management, and for improved sanitation. In so doing, the Department leads the scaling-up of the Bank’s contribution to Africa’s efforts to attain water security and sanitation for sustainable socio-economic transformation.
The position of the Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer, has the following work objectives:
- Contribute to attainment of national/regional water and sanitation agenda and related objectives of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) including attaining water and sanitation for all and ensuring water quality standards towards improved quality of life for the people;
- Liaising with national-level stakeholders, and maintaining close collaboration with regional hubs and other water-related complexes in the Bank, the position contributes to pertinent knowledge management and technical guidance on sustainable and affordable water supply and sanitation technologies and approaches;
Provide assistance to RMCs in understanding and applying Bank Group’s operational procedures relating to loan administration, and procurement of goods and services.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the manager for RDGS2 (with technical support from AHWS) the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
A: Programming of Sector Priorities with Reference to Infrastructure
(i) Provide technical advice/assistance to RMCs for the development of their water and sanitation sector (WSS):
· Assist RMCs in identifying institutional capacity building and reform requirements, human resources development needs;
· Assist RMCs in policy development and review and provide guidance in sectoral development planning;
· Promote stakeholder participation in sectoral activities: local authorities, private sector, communities and community based organizations (CBOs), and NGOs.
(ii) Contribute to the formulation of the Bank Group Water and Sanitation Sector policy and provide technical advice/guidance in implementation and monitoring compliance of the policy.
B. Identification, Preparation and Appraisal of Water and Sanitation Projects / Programs
(iii) Prepare water supply and sanitation projects/programs
· Review relevant documents on the WSS sector in RMCs;
· Lead/participate in field identification missions to RMCs, discuss needs, policies and strategies with relevant officials of RMCs;
· Assist RMCs to prepare water supply and sanitation projects/programs;
· Prepare and update project/programme briefs and project /programme matrices
(iv) Ensure project compliance with Bank Group acceptance criteria.
· Check to ensure that projects conform with RMCs policies, priorities and development plans as well as with Bank Group policies and priorities;
· Ensure that projects/programs are conceptually, technically and environmentally sound; prepare cost estimates;
· Suggest possible financing arrangements;
· Determine capacity of RMC to operate and maintain the completed project and propose solutions.
(v) Ensure inclusion of proposed studies and projects in the pipeline of projects and Lending Program.
(vi) Contribute to preparing studies and projects for Bank Group financing
· Lead or support missions to prepare Terms of Reference (TOR) of studies;
· Provide guidance to relevant RMC officials for the preparation of TOR of the studies;
· Propose implementation and project financing, and collaborate in arranging co-financing of projects to leverage resources when necessary;
· Prepare mission reports and aide memoires.
(vii) Appraise projects and process for Bank Group financing
· Lead/participate in multidisciplinary appraisal missions to RMCs to carry out technical, financial, economic, institutional, social and environmental appraisal of proposed projects;
· Prepare Back to Office Reports and Appraisal Reports;
· Lead/participate in joint field missions with co-financiers for co-financed projects.
C. Loan Processing, Project/Programme Implementation and Supervision
(viii) Process projects for Bank Group financing
· Process TORs of studies and Appraisal Reports of projects/programs with President’s Memoranda through Internal, Inter-Departmental Working Groups and Loans Committees to the Board of Directors for loan/grant approval;
· Organize and participate in loan negotiations and arrange loan signature;
· Collaborate with the Legal Department in preparation of loan agreements;
· Monitor the process of loan effectiveness and ensure the RMCs meet the conditions for loan effectiveness;
· Collaborate with other Divisions and Departments in the administration of Bank Group loans.
(ix) Monitor implementation of studies/projects through desk reviews and field missions
· Ensure studies and projects are implemented in accordance with TORs and contracts, and within time and budgetary allocations;
· Review progress reports and all other reports related to the project including inception reports, final reports, detailed designs, etc;
· Conduct regular field supervision and follow-up missions to RMCs to review progress in the field and resolve implementation problems;
· Ensure compliance with general and specific conditions of loans and grants.
(x) Monitor compliance of RMCs to Bank Group procurement procedures
· Review bidding documents to ensure that they are in accordance with Bank Group rules of procurement of goods and works, and rules of procurement of consultancy services;
· Review and analyze bid evaluation reports to ensure that RMCs procure works and services in accordance with the agreed procedures with the Bank Group;
· Review RMC requests for special procurement methods Bank’s procurement units;
· Monitor RMCs to ensure that the necessary bonds and guarantees are received from contractors and those contracts are in accordance with the requirements.
(xi) Carry out Project Completion Report (PCR) preparation
· Ensure RMC preparation of PCR in close collaboration with the Borrower;
· Lead/participate in missions to RMCs to ascertain project completion and its being operational;
· Carry out technical, financial, institutional, social and environmental evaluation of the completed projects.
(xii) Identify and coordinate the needs for co-financing water projects/programs and initiate proposals for funding by:
· Operationalizing an integrated approach to water sector investment;
· Monitoring and reviewing water sector aid programs of other donor agencies in specific regional member country and determining financing gaps;
· Representing the Bank/Department at national and international water related meetings.
(xiii) Perform other related administrative or technical duties by:
· Drafting responses for the Manager’s or Director General’s signature on water related issues;
· Attending Working Groups, Loans Committee, Loan Negotiations and Board meetings;
· Providing support to the manager in coaching staff in the division in areas related to project development, supervision, and oversight including responding to government and project implementation entities requests for non-objection and other approvals.
(xiv) Liaise with other multilateral and bilateral institutions (such as: World Bank, UNESCO, UNICEF and regional institutions – AU, EAC, etc.) in the context of the Bank’s operations, and represent the Bank in Sector Donor Group meetings in the country.
Represent the Bank at seminars and conferences related to water and social sector activities.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
· At least a Master’s or equivalent degree in Civil Engineering, Water Supply, Sanitary Engineering, or related discipline.
· Minimum 5 years of relevant professional working experience is required;
· Professional experience in international development institutions is added advantage;
· Knowledge of the water and sanitation sector in the country will also be an added advantage;
· Familiarity with the work of other multilateral and bilateral development finance institutions is a plus;
· Innovation and creativity – Initiates and implements creative performance improvements, and sustains forward momentum;
· Communication- Communicates with clarity and persuasively to get things done; keeps colleagues regularly informed about relevant topics and updates;
· Problem solving – Applies knowledge of past situations/trends as appropriate; generates and tests multiple hypotheses or explanations for a given situation;
· Client orientation – Identifies client needs and business trends and proactively consults with them to deliver integrated, customized solutions;
· Team working and relationships – Collaborates with colleagues to drive goal achievement; and uses a network across functions to deliver results;
· Operational effectiveness – Takes initiative to improve practices and products to maximize efficiency and effectiveness; Delivers quality initiatives in order to enhance team’s performance;
· A very good understanding of water supply issues, trends and opportunities in Africa;
· Recognized ability to identify and articulate policy and technological issues and to provide sound advice;
· Demonstrated ability to think strategically, and to prepare, analyze, review and disseminate knowledge products with easy uptake and that add value to the sector;
· Excellent spoken and written English with a working knowledge of French.
· Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint);
· Knowledge of SAP.
THIS POSITION DOES NOT ATTRACT INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT. (INCUMBENTS OF THE POSITION WILL BE CONSIDERED AS LOCAL STAFF AND WILL NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL STATUS).
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem, to: HR direct [email protected]