Job title: Chief of Party, TRANSFORM WASH*
Department: East Africa
Based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to the Country Director, TRANSFORM WASH
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI Ethiopia is one of our innovative network members working with the private and public sector in reproductive health, diarrhea prevention, childhood nutrition and sanitation. We are a team of more than 130 people passionate about marketing and dedicated to serving Sara, our client and beneficiary: we focus on the insights gathered through the continuous dialogue with her and on the market failures preventing her from getting what she and her family need. Using market and behavioral data PSI Ethiopia identify the most appropriate solutions to make the markets work for Sara.
PSI seeks an experienced Chief of Party (COP) to plan and coordinate all activities under a $24 million 5 year USAID-funded project in Ethiopia. The project will have a strong focus on catalytic change and transformative impact, and will encompass a set of innovative and strategic interventions, with an overall goal of reducing under-five mortality, through increased use of WASH products and services.
The COP should have significant leadership, management and international development experience; a demonstrated track record in successfully managing government relations; a commitment to capacity building; a strong interest in private sector approaches to development; and experience successfully implementing market-based approaches.
Sound like you? Read on.
You will be responsible for overall management, technical direction, and administration to ensure programmatic success. This includes:
- Acquisition and supervision of the activity’s financial and human resources.
- Ensuring quality and timeliness of all deliverables.
- Ensuring effective coordination of activities with those of relevant GOE ministries, international organizations, and other USAID funded WASH activities.
- Oversee the design and implementation of a sanitation market development project that includes social marketing, social franchising and market development approaches.
- Serve as main point of contact/representative of the project to USAID
- Facilitate senior level policy and dialogue with the sub-national governments and relevant Ministries and partners.
- Ensure the effective use and coordination of USAID resources and the compliance of the financial systems and controls with USAID standards.
- Lead internal and external program planning and reporting including annual work planning with sub-award partners.
- Contribute to supporting the design and diffusion of innovative business models and commercialization of technologies for WASH products in Ethiopia, including providing effective guidance and support to technical members of the in-country management teams and staff assigned to the project.
- Develop and manage a team that includes members of diverse backgrounds, including finance, and marketing, in order to successfully co-create and support sustainable models for sanitation.
- Ensure sound financial management including programmatic budgeting, spending projections and monitoring of payments.
- Ensure high-quality periodic reporting in line with USAID and PSI requirements (Quarterly and Annual Status reports, quarterly financial reports etc.)
What are we looking for?
- Hold a master’s degree or higher in a relevant field and have technical skills which complement those of the activity’s key technical specialists
- Have a minimum of 15 years of experience in the water and sanitation, private sector development, behavior change or marketing
- Have at least 10 years of successful experience as Project Director of large donor-funded technical assistance teams for activities of similar magnitude and complexity in developing countries including East Africa. Ethiopia experience is preferred.
- Have prior experience with private sector development programs
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a cross-cultural environment with other implementers and teams carrying out USAID- and other donor-funded programs, including activities in different sectors
- Be adept in strategic planning, budgeting, adaptive management, and supervision
- Fluency in English mandatory, proficiency in Amharic preferred
- References will be required.
- Level 6
*Contingent upon funding.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.