International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs. Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and Nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, International Medical Corps rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
International Medical Corps has been operating in Nigeria since November 2013, and currently has projects in two States (Kano and Borno). In Borno, International Medical Corps has been actively implementing interventions to support vulnerable populations recently affected by conflict and displacement due to the insurgency.
Under the supervision of WASH Officer, the WASH assistant will be responsible to participate in hygiene campaigns, to participate in house to house hygiene promotion, and to prepare written material for the field, elaborate clear and adapted message for beneficiaries, as well as oversee the hygiene promotion and other WASH activities conducted by the community volunteers.
The WASH Assistants will be responsible for:
- Selection and training of the hygiene promoters (VCM).
- Collection of biodata for both VCMs and beneficiaries in communities.
- Input beneficiaries’ data into the spreadsheet in preparation for distribution of NFI kits in communities.
- Train and monitor VCMs on how to conduct hygiene promotion sessions and fill their log sheets properly document topics discussed, advice provided, document issues of concern for IMC follow up the action, number of attendees to sessions, etc…
- Collection of VCM log sheet on monthly basis and certifying work done by VCMs.
- Identification of the most appropriate messages regarding the target population.
- Organize training sessions and participate in facilitation in IDP camps and host communities.
- Evaluate the necessary material needed for a campaign/activity.
- Mobilize the community on change behavior regarding hygiene practices.
- Participate in hygiene campaigns, doing shows in schools and at the community level and IDP camps in close coordination with community volunteers
- Actively participate alongside community volunteers in identifying locations/sites for WASH infrastructures (latrines construction/rehabilitation, borehole drilling/rehabilitation, etc…) in the beneficiary communities.
- Animate focus group, giving clear messages on good hygiene practice.
- Report the progress of the work to the supervisor and the Head of the project
- Report possible problems or conflict during the activities or any other issues that require IMC follow up/ action
- Conduct Household assessments.
- Conduct the Distribution of water, hygiene and sanitation items.
- Collection of the water sample from household and source and also conduct quality tests using the del aqua KIT
- Write daily reports on VCMs evaluation, water testing, and NFI distribution.
- Relating closely with VCMs to identify informal settlements in host communities.
- Relate with M & E in providing accurate raw data for impact analysis during the post-distribution survey and also to make input into monthly and quarterly reports
- Regular reporting of Hygiene Promotion activities to supervisor/ WASH Officer
- Provide support to other areas of the department as may be required by the supervisor.
- Bsc or HND in social sciences, sciences or any relevant technical qualification.
- At least one (1) year experience with a non-profit, non-governmental organization or community development experience.
- Demonstrated skill in capacity building at the community level.
- Experience in hygiene promotion, water quality monitoring, & community mobilization.
- Communicate well in Hausa & Kanuri is an added advantage.
- Excellent experience with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Word
- Excellent English communication skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently Flexible, able to cope with stressful situations and frustrations Nigerian Nationals Only