GIZ is seeking consultancy services within the programme ‘Improving climate resilience of Caribbean island and coastal states through systemic resource management on land and at sea’
The Small Island developing states (SIDS) in the Caribbean and their populations are in a state of increased vulnerability to the impacts of climate change. The region faces very specific and unique challenges in sustainably and reliably supplying people with safe drinking water. Institutional capacities in the water supply sector, as well as capacities in terms of all kinds of water loss reduction measures, are limited. The high management and infrastructural risks and vulnerabilities lead to the fact that after only short periods without rainfall, water shortages occur. The potential for improving reliable and safe drinking water supply in the Caribbean is thus very high.
The requested consultancy supports Wasco in Saint Lucia and, where applicable, representatives of sister organisations in other Caricom countries in improving institutional and organisational aspects of the utility. The objective of this assignment is (i.) the support of Wasco in St Lucia and her staff on-the-job in improving its institutional and organisational structures and capacities. Further, a key objective is (ii.) to improve the human resources’ capacities across departments within Wasco, and (iii.) to efficiently and effectively address major challenges posed by the inadequate operation of the water supply infrastructure.
The proposed Senior Manager will facilitate a smooth and timely implementation of the programme including the mobilization of ad hoc expertise for short-term assignments if needed.
He/she will initiate, facilitate and monitor the change processes supported under the results areas of the project. The Senior Manager will be the Key Expert for Institutional and Organisational Strengthening.
- University degree M.Sc. (or comparable) and higher in Business Administration, Organisational Development, Environmental Management or related degree
- Higher or additional degrees would be an advantage
- Additional qualifications and experience in areas such as environmental engineering, civil engineering, network design, operation and maintenance of water supply networks, GIS, financial modelling, IT, hydraulic modelling, capacity development would be an asset
- At least 15 years of work experience in relevant field of expertise
- At least 5 years utility operation experience from a water utility or water provider with max. 15% NRW annually (track record of the utilities’ NRW level over at least 5 recent years)
- Direct involvement in activities to reduce the non-revenue water level of a water utility
- At least 10 years of experience in project management, strategic planning and corporate communication (in particular for the overarching role as project coordinator)
- High technical and advisory competences, proven track record of intercultural competencies and sensitivity in interacting with cooperation partners
- Ability to facilitate high level meetings and stakeholder processes, work as part of a team, and to follow flexible and situational approaches
- Experience in synthesizing information into clear, concise messages for detailed analytical reports, executive summaries, presentations, visualisations
- Experience in conducting human capacity development (HCD) activities or trainings in an international context
- Experience in at least 2 projects similar to the assignment and tasks described above
- Track record of conducting technical and management assistant activities in preparation, implementation and monitoring of water utility support
- Proven experience in Saint Lucia or one of the ‘CATS countries’ would be an asset; otherwise experience in developing and/or emerging countries
- Willingness to work hands-on in the field
- Excellent English in speech and writing; German would be an advantage
GFA Consulting Group GmbH has formed a consortium with Águas de Portugal.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your understanding.
Theda Matthiesen [email protected]
Please read carefully our CONSENT TO THE USE OF PRIVATE DATA