With more than 30 years of experience, CowaterSogema is Canadian global leader in management consulting services, specializing in international economic development. We have managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017 and 2018.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
CowaterSogema is excited to announce the opening of the position of Regional Technical Specialist—Africa (Climate Change Adaptation) for an upcoming Green Climate Fund (GCF) project supporting developing countries to access and deploy resources from the GCF through the provision of technical, analytical and advisory services in the formulation of country programmes outlining priorities for mitigation and adaptation. Reporting to the Project Director at CowaterSogema’s HQ in Ottawa, Canada and the Regional Technical Specialist—Africa (Climate Change Adaptation) will be responsible for the coordination and management of regional technical assistance services to National Designated authorities or focal points in the development of country programmes.
- Master’s degree or higher qualification in climate change adaptation, water resource management, engineering, development studies, economics, business, or environmental sciences, or a related field.
- Additional project/financial management designations preferred.
- 10 years of experience in program management and implementation on an international development project;
- 5 years of experience managing programs on climate change adaptation and/or mitigation;
- Significant experience leading multidisciplinary teams on large international development projects;
- Prior experience in Africa, including francophone countries such as Mali, Burkina Faso, Benin and Democratic Republic of Congo;
- Experience in capacity building to national governments in the development of climate change programming;
- Experience working with climate finance institutions would be an asset, including prior experience working with the Green Climate Fund;
- Experience managing complex multi-stakeholder relations.
- Fluency in English and French, with outstanding verbal and written communication skills, particularly within a diverse cultural context;
- Technical expertise in climate change adaptation, including experience providing technical assistance and advisory services to governments in the design and development of projects and programmes addressing climate change;
- Excellent leadership, resource management and mentoring skills to work with and train dispersed multidisciplinary and multicultural cross-functional teams;
- Excellent skills in developing alliances and working in partnerships with the private sector, government, local/international NGOs, and donors/development partners; and
- Ability to provide technical inputs and advice in conducting capacity building needs assessment of local authorities.
All applications for the position of Regional Technical Specialist—Africa (Climate Change Adaptation)are to be submitted through our Career Portal on our website.
Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be assessed as they are received.