Join our international non-profit research organisation and help create a sustainable future for all. SEI Africa employs a dynamic team of 20 based at the World Agroforestry Centre in Nairobi, Kenya. The Centre’s main areas of research are: Energy and Climate; Natural Resources and Ecosystems; Sustainable Urbanisation; and Health and Environment. We work with local partners across sub-Saharan Africa and also collaborate with SEI centres in Asia, Europe and Latin America and other research organisations, universities and implementers around the world.
We are looking for a dynamic communications professional with experience in sub-Saharan Africa, ideally having previously worked with international organisations in the area of research, environment and development. S/he should have the proven ability to develop mechanisms for reaching and communicating with key decision makers and be comfortable developing content across a wide range of channels (digital, printed materials, events and media). S/he should be comfortable working with diverse teams and willing to travel as needed.
- Develop a Centre communications strategy and an annual Centre communications plan;
- Establish/build relationships with decision-makers relevant to SEI Africa’s research and maintain a network and contacts lists of media, researchers, decision-makers and partner organisations in Africa relevant to SEI’s work in Africa;
- Monitor trends in social media tools and developments in the fields of environment and development to ensure the Centre stays ahead of the curve;
- Contribute the Centre’s content for SEI’s global outreach materials (annual report, brochures, factsheets, etc);
- Provide project support, e.g. review project proposals and provide guidance on communication planning or prepare a communications plan (audiences, channels, activities, budget) for larger projects.
- Support SEI Africa projects with communications expertise and execute project communication plans, delivering communication activities on time and budget;
- Manage the Centre’s digital presence, including keeping the SEI Africa website up to date and regularly adding content (e.g. blogs, Twitter, Facebook, news items, photo story, video);
- Review market and industry research and present innovative ideas to help drive growth in website traffic and increase user engagement and interaction;
- Assist and advise research staff on producing publications;
- Manage high-profile Centre events;
- Time permitting, participate in research activities, not only to enable s/he to more effectively provide communications support but to also further expand their skillset
- A Master’s degree, preferably in communications and journalism;
- At least 7-10 years working experience in the field of communications, preferably in Africa;
- Expert knowledge of social networking channels and demonstrated experience in administering social media platforms is essential;
- Experience working for an international organisation; and
- Fluency in English is required; fluency also in KiSwahili is preferred; fluency in French and Portuguese is an advantage.