Kosovo faces various environmental issues such as a changing climate, natural hazards and various pollutions. These environmental issues pose significant development challenges in Kosovo.In this regard, UNDP focuses on developing capacities to address these environmental issues as well as to properly manage natural resources of Kosovo at both central and local levels with gender considerations applied at every stage.
The legal and regulatory framework for environmental management is an important part of Kosovo’s agenda towards European integration. UNDP provide support to advance Kosovo’s agenda in climate change and disaster risk reduction as well as to promote the sound management of natural resources. Moreover, UNDP also supports initiatives in environment and health issues and raise awareness of the importance of clean and healthy environment.
UNDP has been one of the main partners in the area of disaster risk reduction (DRR) in Kosovo since 2010 and has actively supported the Kosovo stakeholders in developing the legislative framework for DRR as well as building capacities for disaster preparedness based on the principles of the Hyogo Framework for Action (2005-2015) and the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reductions (2015-2030).
The project Confidence and Trust Building through Disaster Risk Reduction and Gender Mainstreaming (CTB-DRR) aims to accelerate the process of building the capacities of local and central authorities responsible for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) to prevent, prepare for and respond to disasters in a way that caters to different gendered needs, and to build trust and confidence between the Serb-majority municipalities in northern Kosovo and central authorities in Pristina through mutually beneficial DRR activities.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Associate will provide operational and technical support to the implementation of various activities that aim to strengthen disaster resilience in Kosovo and facilitate communications between UNDP and relevant institutions including, but not limited to, Emergency Management Agency / Ministry of Internal Affairs, municipalities, civil society organizations, and other partners as required for project activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, Project Associate will execute duties and responsibilities outlined below:
1. Administration, HR and operations work:
- Liaises with HR and/or Finance on payroll (change of COAs, checking the information, etc.); Responds to all the requests from Operations on (CTB-DRR);
- Participate in the interview process as secretary of the panel, contact candidates and ensure that supporting documents are completed for submission of the request for contract to UNDP Kosovo office;
- Leave monitor for project personnel;
- Submit to UNDP Kosovo HR unit on monthly basis information on absence monitoring (attendance cards);
- Maintain and file records, documents and work plans for the monitoring of project implementation;
- Assist with organizing events and arranging meetings and missions; coordinate travel arrangements;
- Provide translation for project needs;
- Prepare requests for contracts for project staff, including short-term consultants, in compliance with UNDP HR rules and procedures; provide HR office with necessary information on a timely manner.
2. Finance and budget preparation, maintenance and oversight:
- Manage projects finances ensuring effective use of resources and compliance with UNDP rules and procedures;
- Timely and accurate entry in ATLAS, timely preparation of monthly cash flow forecast for use by the PM and timely accounts closure;
- Generate regular financial reports as required by the donor and/or UNDP;
- Properly control the supporting documents for payments of beneficiaries and operational expenditures;
- Prepare, review and update the procurement plans; update the inventory list; assist in purchase of the project equipment and ensure maintenance as needed;
- In cooperation with the project manager and project staff lead the procurement processes and preparation of the necessary documents.
3. Overall project implementation support:
- Assistance in drafting activity reports, monthly reports, and quarterly reports;
- Assistance in drafting Term of Reference’s in support to project implementation;
- Jointly with project staff undertake project visits, monitor activities and ensure compliance with UNDP rules and procedures;
- Facilitate communications between UNDP Kosovo and various stakeholders, to achieve results of the project in an effective and efficient manner.
Impact of Results
- The Project Associate’s inputs will have a direct impact on the successful project implementation and the achievement of results. Specifically, the inputs will have an impact on the planning, implementation, monitoring and coordination of the project activities and resources (human, financial, material assets etc.) have an impact on the achievement of expected results in compliance with UNDP’s administrative, logistics and finance rules, regulations and policies.
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects implementation
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Responds positively to new approaches
- Ability to maintain information and files in order, or at more advanced level, develop and implement data management
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Informed and transparent decision making
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
- Demonstrates experience in gender equality.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education with specialized/specific trainings in HR, finance, or business administration. University Degree in Economy, Business or Public Administration will be a distinct advantage.
- Min 6 years of relevant experience is required at the national or international level in project administration, finance and procurement for candidates with secondary education, while min 3 years of relevant experience for candidates with University Degree.
- Experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in both oral and written English. Fluency in oral written Albanian is required. Knowledge of Serbian is an advantage.
- Click on the “Apply now” button.
- Input your information in the appropriate Sections: personal information, language proficiency, education, resume and motivation. You can type in, or paste your short Resume into the last box.
- Upon completion of the first page, please hit “submit application” tab at the end of the page. On the next page, you will be asked to upload your Resume. Instead of uploading your Resume, please submit a fully completed and signed UNDP Personal History Form (P-11).
- System will only allow one attachment. All docs (P11, academic qualifications/diploma) should be included as one attachment
- Without the completed and signed P11, your application may not be considered. The UNDP Personal History Form can be downloaded at this link: http://www.ks.undp.org/content/kosovo/en/home/operations/jobs/