The IRC is a Non-Governmental humanitarian organization working world wide to serve refugees and communities victimized by oppression, natural disaster and violent conflict. The IRC has been working in Ethiopia since 2000 and is currently working in six regions including Melkadida, following the influx from the neighboring Somalia since 2010.
IRC Ethiopia is a key actor in the WASH sector in six regions, including Malkadida, where it has been implementing safe water supply program towards improving health and wellbeing of Somali Refugees across the three camps of Melkadida, Bokolomayo and Kobe. Currently IRC Melkadida Field Office is expanding its WASH responses to refugee camps of Burmanio and Helewein, including the Reception Center at Dollo Ado.
Technically reporting to the WASH/ Environmental Health Manager, the sanitation and hygiene Promotion officer will provide leadership and management of all aspects of the hygiene promotion and sanitation component of EH/WASH project/s at Helewein Refugees camp. He/She will be responsible for the implementation of hygiene promotion and sanitation component and ensuring program quality, completion of activities within allocated funding and project period, and identifying new needs for program expansion and improvement. The Sanitation and hygiene Promotion Officer will be spending full of his/her time in Helewein camps.
· In coordination with EH Manager, undertake/take part in quantitative/qualitative assessments to identify key risky hygiene behaviors to work on and to capture key achievements with-in the framework of project/s,
· Work with Environmental Agents and target beneficiaries to identify volunteers/incentive workers for hygiene promotion/education,
· Train volunteers/incentive workers on basics of hygiene promotion/education, hygiene promotion/education methods/approaches, communication and facilitation skills,
· Prepare detail implementation plan for hygiene promotion/education activities in coordination with EH Manager and other EH staff,
· Ensure implementation of hygiene promotion activities as per planned approaches/methods through use of EHA, and volunteers/incentive workers,
· Work with EH manager on development, testing, printing and positioning of culturally appropriate IEC materials, and monitoring tools and ensure proper use of the same,
· Prepare weekly and monthly progress reports/updates,
· Ensure needs of most vulnerable are taken in to account at all stages of hygiene promotion intervention/s,
· Coordinate and integrate with other IPs in harmonizing hygiene promotion/education interventions,
· Document and share lessons learned and success stories in relation to hygiene to inform future programming
· Ensure proper implementation of hygiene and sanitation component of WASH projects with-in allocated budget and timeline meeting international standards;
· Ensure integration of Water, sanitation and hygiene promotion components of projects
· Prepare monthly field reports covering all hygiene and sanitation components and submit to EH Manager;
· Undertake need assessments and contribute in the preparation of new proposals,
· Visit the camp regularly and provide on-site mentoring to hygiene and sanitation team in the camp.
· Ensure that procurements are timely initiated, monitored and prioritized by the logistics team;
· Monitor and ensure spending against plan, and analyze monthly financial reports;
· Ensure that program spending is in line with original plan and burn rate balances with implementation progress;
· Work with finance and logistics to ensure the program quality ;
· Support EH staffs and non-EH sectors to ensure a quality program implementation
· Foster linkages with partners including ARRA and UNHCR for effective implementation of the program
· Attend Task force and coordination meeting at Camp as instructed by supervisor
· Any additional tasks as assigned by his/her supervisor
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS
· BSc Degree in Environmental Health or any other related field from recognized University with a minimum of Three year relevant work experience on hygiene promotion with I/NGO in emergency and refugee settings; or Diploma and six year work experience.
· Previous experience of implementing participatory hygiene promotion and sanitation methods (e.g. PHAST, CLTS/H,) and organizing campaigns on key hygiene themes;
· Previous experience of implementing institutional (schools & health facilities) hygiene promotions/educations;
· Ability to work in stressful conditions and with limited social services and insecure environments.
· Ability to work independently with minimum supervision and in a highly results oriented work culture
· Knowledge, skill and experience in participatory methods for promoting sustainability of WASH interventions
· NGO experience is plus.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
· Good communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
· Basic supervisory/managerial skills
· Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required;
· Computer Literate – Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point and e-mail);
· Fluency in English (Oral and Written); Somali language a plus advantage for the position.
· Supervisory/basic managerial skills
· Technical and report writing skills *