Founded in 1985, Cowater International Inc. has built a global reputation for excellence in the world of management consulting in international development. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada and with experience in more than 65 countries, Cowater has established itself as Canada’s leading management consulting firm in international development.
Reporting to the Canadian Project Director the EM Specialist will provide technical advice and expertise related to strengthening the environmental management processes in Peru related to mining (and energy) activities. The EMS will also provide guidance, technical assistance and training in the use of evaluation tools, guidelines, monitoring best practices and technologies. This position will require frequent travel to Peru.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Designing and implementing environmental management plans for industry; environmental monitoring plans/strategies for public enforcement agencies; and improvement of environmental management processes with institutions, the OEFA and regional authorities;
- Performing EIA and socio-economic impact studies;
- Monitoring environmental regulatory compliance;
- Develop and propose mitigation measures for specific environmental risks;
- Demonstrating to national and regional authorities Canadian and international technologies used to evaluate and monitor environmental impacts;
- Ensure the EM process if fully integrated into project activities.
Fluent in Spanish, and English or French
Education: Master’s Degree in one of the following: environmental engineering , civil engineering, environmental management, environmental science, biology, hydrology, agriculture sciences, soil sciences, physical geography, geology, environmental auditing. Bachelor degree one of the previous disciplines.
- 2+ years for developing baseline data for environmental measurement
- 2+ years in planning and carrying out EIA of mining operations, as well as monitoring and auditing evaluations on the effects of mining operations for regulators or the private sector
- 2+ years in developing and implementing regulations/policies/protocols or tools for environmental M&E and auditing (specifically with environmental regulatory institutions)
- 2+ year using Canadian and international best practices, including ISO 14000 environmental management standards and best available technologies
- 2+ years implementing and maintaining EMS, risk assessment, closure planning, or other environmental instrument relevant to the mining industry
- Experience working on environmental assessment and management in middle income or developing countries, preferably in Peru or Latin America
- Experience in international development projects, and specifically in the field
- Experience in provision of capacity building services that includes providing technical assistance through field-based demonstrations and accompaniment
All applications are to be submitted here, through http://www.cowater.com/job-listings/. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be assessed as they are received.
We thank all applicants, however only those making the shortlist will be contacted.