Oxfam in Tanzania’s country strategy 2015-19 envisions empowered citizens with reduced poverty, reduced inequality and injustice with especially women and young people having access to resources and a good quality of life. We want to see evidence of citizens being more aware of and demanding their rights to resources and essential services. We also want to see less policy incoherence and positive changes at national level (policy) and community level (practices, perceptions, ideas and beliefs).
The above vision will be achieved through delivering strategically interrelated goals:
- Goal 1: Enhanced Governance and Transparency Transformed power relationships between women, men, government and businesses enabling citizens to demand accountability and advocate for the provision of quality essential services.
- Goal 2: Women’s Empowerment -Women are politically, economically and socially empowered to be transformative leaders and change agents within their households and communities.
- Goal 3: Tackling Rural Poverty – Oxfam in Tanzania Country Strategy 2015-2019 works towards rural women having access and control of economic resources, including land, and influence over markets and investments to ensure sustainable food security and resilience to disasters, especially those induced by climate change.
- Goal 4: Focuses on Oxfam’s capacity and partners to manage humanitarian response and preparedness. Building resilience to climate change and adaptation.
The approach to implementation will be primarily working with partners and allies. Oxfam in Tanzania operates out of three office base(s) (Mwanza; Arusha and Dar es Salaam). The Burundian Refugee response also necessitated opening of the field offices in Kibondo and Kasulu.
To achieve this, OXFAM in Tanzania seeks to recruit suitable qualified Candidate to fill in the following position; PHE Officer- Water & Sanitation.
Provide adequate support services through design, construction & supervision of water and Sanitation facilities to ensure smooth operation and maintenance of the system.
Roles & Responsibilities
- As a part of WASH team, to conduct rapid need assessment for water and sanitation needs in the refugee camp(s) and in host communities as requested by team leader.
- To support pipeline survey, design, technical drawing, bill of quantities for water distribution facilities and organise logistics supports to supply materials at site.
- Support and supervise in construction of production shed and relevant facilities to smooth production progress and ensuring quality
- To support on sanitation facilities design, proper location and supervising the implementation of sanitation and drainage accordingly
- To undertake other technical works in various areas as required by the TL/PH Co
- To contribute to the weekly reports on plan and progress of activities, issues and challenges at field
- To provide on the job training to APHEs and Volunteers on Water and sanitation activities.
- To ensure that gender participation and protection issues are reflected in all water and sanitation activities.
- To be familiar with and abide by NGO code of conduct and SPHERE minimum standard.
- To be responsible for camp zones coordination and support to develop the standards for water and sanitation activities within the working areas.
Skills & Competency
- Knowledge and recognised qualification in civil and public health engineering with good understanding of camp/ community, pipe water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in humanitarian work and significant understanding of pipe water supply and integrated water and sanitation and hygiene promotion programme for refugees in camps and rural situation.
- Practical experience of technical project implementation and ability to work within deadlines and independently in difficult environment.
- Good analytical, interpersonal and communication skills
- Report writing, communication and presentation skills in English.
If you believe you qualify for the above post, please submit your application and CV, detailing your experience for the post and include two referees, preferably your current line manager by applying online at www.oxfam.org.uk/jobs. You are advised to use advert reference number INT4444 and job title above. The closing date for applications is 23rd May, 2018.