ROLE: To provide specialist climate change consultancy services working as part of a multidisciplinary team. The candidate will be involved in undertaking assessments of climate change impacts and risks and developing adaptation and resilience strategies, as well as undertaking carbon and GHG emissions assessments and reduction studies. The candidate will be responsible for their own work and technical checking of others’ work under the guidance of the group’s Senior Climate Change professionals. The role will provide regular contact and liaison with both internal and external clients, regulatory authorities, research partners and wider stakeholders. There will be a significant business development remit as our aim is to continue to grow our climate change consultancy work, in collaboration with colleagues in the UK and internationally. All Arup staff benefit from regular training and development, with formal training provided through the Arup University.
- Potential candidates are likely to be able to demonstrate experience in some of the following areas:
- Experience of undertaking climate change impact and risk assessments and/or assessments of GHG emissions
- Experience of developing climate change adaptation and resilience strategies and/or climate change mitigation and emissions reduction strategies
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative research and analysis skills.
- Excellent report writing and communication skills
- Good working knowledge of international, European and UK policy, legislative, regulatory and planning frameworks
- Business development including input to bids and proposals and client relationships
- Candidates should have an appropriate degree and post graduate qualification plus around 3-5 years’ experience within the climate change or environmental sector. Candidates should be Chartered, or working towards Chartership with an appropriate institution.
Desirable skills and knowledge:
- Expertise in statistical analysis and/or geospatial data analysis
- Expertise in programming
- Understanding of GHG modelling and standards
- Experience of undertaking environmental impact assessments (EIA)
- An understanding of BREEAM, CEEQUAL and LEED or similar
- Understanding of wider environmental risk or corporate risk assessments
- Knowledge of open data
- Understanding of systems thinking
- Appreciation of environmental economics
We are keen to support flexible and part-time working wherever the role allows. If you wish to explore the possibilities associated with this opportunity, please let us know what you’re looking for in your cover letter when you apply.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
Closing Date: 31.05.2018