WaterSHED is seeking a dynamic and talented Research and Learning Manager to lead the design and oversee the implementation of monitoring, evaluation, learning and research (MELR) across all programs of the organization. The incumbent will support WaterSHED to effectively engage within the rural sanitation and hygiene sector in Cambodia, harvest learning from our operations and contribute to program development through formative research into emerging areas. We believe that exchanging and learning within our sector and within the communities we serve are pillars of our success.
WaterSHED uses a systems-approach to build the rural market for water, sanitation, and hygiene products and services across Southeast Asia. Based in Cambodia, the organization conducts in-depth research to identify strategic opportunities and gaps in the wider system, and then works to strengthen the capacity and relationships between key actors to create more dynamic and resilient markets.
By engaging key actors in the system, including small businesses, customers, and local government, WaterSHED facilitates the adoption of toilets, water filters, and handwashing stations – building a market that functions independent of traditional aid. To date, WaterSHED’s Hands-Off marketing approach has successfully enabled small businesses to sell more than 180,000 toilets, generating more than USD $9 million in revenue for rural businesses, and helping accelerate sanitation coverage from a stagnant 25% to nearly 60% in six years.
WaterSHED has been featured in Forbes, Reuters, and Huffington Post, and is a twice winner of USAID’s Development Innovation Ventures competition, a winner of Canada Grand Challenges Stars in Global Public Health, and 1st prize winner of the Reed Elsevier Environmental Challenge.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
You will be a key member the WaterSHED’s management team, working closely with research staff embedded within WaterSHED’s various projects as well as with key program staff.
- Lead the design of MELR strategies and tools for specific projects, as well as for the overall organization’s performance;
- Manage the MEL team to design the MEL tools and lead and coordinate the MEL activities;
- Guide and oversee the implementation of MELR activities, including data collection, entry, analysis and reporting;
- Actively engage with other program units to document learning from implementation and identify new learning needs and opportunities;
- Liaise with national and international partners and audience to design and disseminate knowledge products.
- Advanced research degree in social science, international development, economics, or others relevant field;
- Experience with designing and overseeing implementation of MERL activities in a developing country context is a strong asset;
- Experience in managing/coordinating the MEL team and activities for an institution;
- Demonstrated ability to summarize complex ideas in a coherent way, adequate for different audiences;
- Strong command of Excel and/or at least one statistical software (SPSS, Stata, R, SAS or similar) is a strong asset;
- Demonstrated skills and experience coordinating multiple complex activities;
Very strong English language skills, both written and verbal.
- Self-starter with a sense of practicality;
- Creative thinker, with empathy and inexhaustible curiosity.
We are looking for someone who appreciates the objectives and values of WaterSHED, has excellent communication skills, is entrepreneurial and creative, takes initiative, and is enthusiastic. Good problem-solving, critical-thinking skills, honesty and trustworthiness are essential.
Interested applicants please send your application including:
- An application form (download),
- Resume with the name and contacts of three references
A cover letter, outlining your experience and skills (maximum one page)
Note: No scans of certificates needed
Please send your application to [email protected] with the subject “Research & Learning Manager”.
Application deadline: May 25, 2018