- Job Description
Adam Smith International is an award-winning professional services business that delivers real impact, value and lasting change through projects supporting economic growth and government reform internationally. Our reputation as a global leader has been built on the positive results our projects have achieved in many of the world’s most challenging environments.
About the Infrastructure and Climate Change team
» 20+ years’ experience at the leading edge of infrastructure development and reform with a more recent focus on climate change, power sector reform, regional integration and transport corridors;
» Numerous international project management awards;
» Focus on policy, strategy, planning, regulation, financing (private sector participation and public-private partnership) and utility reform in energy, water and sanitation, transport, urban development and climate change (with an emphasis on 3 fields: low carbon energy access, sustainable land use and climate resilient infrastructure).
About the role
Our Infrastructure and Climate Change is growing fast. We need a strong Principal Manager to join us, reporting directly into the Infrastructure and Climate Change Practice Director. We are looking for someone who can direct programmes, lead on bids for large and complex projects, has a track record of winning, setting up projects and managing successful teams.
Principal Managers play a fundamental role in our operating model, managing the technical and financial performance of projects, as well as leading teams and business development activities. This involves developing a clear strategy to consolidate and develop our growing team, including:
- Providing people with clear direction that is translated from the organisation’s vision, values and objectives.
- Mapping actors and opportunities in private sector development.
- Identifying target sectors and competitive advantages for the team.
- Leading on the development and delivery of proposals for large and strategic projects for our key donors such as UK Government’s Department for International Development (DFID), AusAid and the World Bank.
- Acting as project director, taking corporate responsibility for the overall delivery of projects.
You will also be expected to be capable of:
- Assessing the political environment, demonstrating an understanding of the complex inter-relationships among political issues and actors.
- In the face of change, anticipating the needs of the organisation or client and making recommendations to address these needs.
- Demonstrating good understanding of agenda of senior-level client individuals (DP Senior Adviser, Minister, Director) and organisation (DP Country Office, Ministry, Cabinet), and implementing communication strategy to engage.
- Demonstrating leadership through their positive influence on others.
- Effectively negotiating and influencing at the highest levels of organisations.
- Ensuring that projects are completed and delivered on time.
- Ensuring proper financial management of projects.
- Managing effectively the relationship with clients.
- Being a role model to more junior staff, remaining calm and making good decisions even when under considerable pressure.
- Required Skills
An Adam Smith International Principal Manager should have the ability to build effective relationships with clients from a wide range of professional and cultural backgrounds, and to work effectively in politically sensitive and challenging environments. They should relish managing teams, should be innovative, energetic, positive, and genuinely committed to achieving lasting change in their work.
We are looking for a very high calibre Principal Manager who combines the management skills of a professional consultant and the drive of an emerging market entrepreneur, with a healthy appetite for challenges and a desire to travel.
Adam Smith International seeks the following skills:
- Graduate or postgraduate degree in a related field.
- Willing to travel and potentially to be relocated overseas.
- The ability and aspiration to learn fast and be challenged.
- Knowledge of how to direct a project.
- Knowledge of how to respond to all safety and health situations in an appropriate and effective way.
- Advanced negotiation skills.
- Advanced presentation skills.
- Excellent complex proposal writing skills.
- Excellent people management skills.
- Advanced budget, finance and forecasting abilities.
- Ability to build effective, credible client relationships and networks.
- High level of emotional intelligence.
- Proactive, self-starter, resourceful.
- Open-minded, flexible approach to problem-solving.
- Resilient to changing circumstances and challenges.
- Achievement oriented.
- Trustworthy, reliable, professional, conscientious and accountable.
- Required Experience
- A passion for and experience in private sector development.
- Interest and experience in working in developing and conflict-affected environments.
What We Offer You
We offer you a dynamic and friendly team environment and the opportunity to work on a highly successful portfolio of programmes. We have a strong commitment to our people and strive to live by our principles:
- Take responsibility (Accountability). We are individually and collectively accountable for what we do.
- Always find a way (Resourcefulness). We think innovatively to reach a solution.
- Promote Quality (Excellence). We maintain and promote professional standards in everything we do.
- Commit to the Outcome (Achievement). We take pride in delivering our best to achieve results
We’ve built a culture to reflect our principles, full of like-minded professionals who are smart, passionate and great at what they do. We offer a highly competitive compensation package and excellent benefits.
Heard Enough? Ready to Apply?
We would love to hear from you. Please submit a CV (no more than 3 pages) and short cover letter. You must be eligible to work in the UK to apply for this position. Shortlisted applicants only will be contacted. Thank you for your consideration.
- Job Location
- London, London, City of, United Kingdom
- Position Type
Principal Manager, Infrastructure and Climate Change Team
Adam Smith International
London, United Kingdom 🇬🇧