PEGASYS is an advisory group driving developmental impact in emerging economies. We work to solve complex problems and improve overall quality of life. We are trusted advisors and partners to the public and private sector, and support our clients to develop infrastructure and manage natural resources.
Climate Change Consultant
- Full-time position
- Location – Cape Town
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Will include but not be limited to: -
- Producing high quality research and analysis on climate change, in relation to project needs.
- Drafting reports and other forms of documentation for clients and partners.
- Preparing presentations to capture key findings, project outcomes, and / or project approach.
- Conducting literature reviews, summarizing material, synthesizing information, analyzing content, and bringing added value and insight to the information collated.
- Assisting with project co-ordination, project logistics, organizing meetings, and taking notes in meetings.
- Participating in and contributing to client and partner meetings.
- Assisting with, contributing to, and taking ownership of project deliverables or components of deliverables.
- Being deployed from time to time as a resource for research, analysis, writing, or other assistance on projects not related to climate change (e.g. related to sustainable development, cities, or water resources) within the broader Resilience team, if the need arises.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Post-graduate degree in an appropriate field including (but not limited to) Climate Change, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, Sustainable Development, Environmental or Natural Resource Economics, Public Policy, or Public Administration.
- A strong thematic focus on and academic grounding in environmental sustainability, especially climate change (including exposure to curriculum on both climate adaptation and climate mitigation issues).
- A minimum of 2-3 years’ experience in a strategy consulting / management consulting / development consulting environment, or engineering consultancy environment, with a strong professional focus on climate change related advisory services.
- Experience in providing both research and advisory services on climate change, in a supportive role
- A demonstrable track record of achievements and projects completed.
- A demonstrable set of examples of quality writing on subjects related to climate change (could be reports written for employers or clients, need not be published reports or articles).
- Additional experience in a Multilateral Development Institution (including development donors).
- Exposure to projects or assignments in developing countries, particularly in Africa.
- Foreign language proficiency in French or Portuguese.
- A keen interest in or previous professional exposure to any one (or all) of the following areas:
Renewable energy / clean energy or broader energy sector issues
Conservation and biodiversity
Agriculture and food security
KEY SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
This role calls for several specific skills and characteristics in the candidate, including but not limited to:
- Strong inter-personal skills and a pleasant demeanor, preferably an individual who enjoys interacting with colleagues, clients and stakeholders, in person and through other modes of communication.
- Organized and methodical in one’s approach to organizing workflow, communications and logistics.
- A very strong ability to think on one’s feet, must be able to process large amounts of information as you are exposed to it.
- Calm and collected – ability to remain relatively stable when reacting to something positive or negative.
- An extremely good writer with proven and exceptional writing skills of international caliber.
- A team player who is productive working in a collaborative environment.
- Self-motivated, self-driven, with the ability to work independently and deliver tasks entirely at the level of quality expected, with minimal supervision or guidance.
- Ability to understand hierarchies and work within them, be they project or company hierarchies.
- Positively disposed towards dynamism, comfortable with a fluid and constantly changing environment, including changing directions related to work being done.
- Must be adaptive, embrace and respond positively to change, and quickly modify one’s own approach and thinking so as to be as nimble as necessary at all times.
- An entrepreneurial bent of mind and the ability to excel in a highly demanding, complex, fast-paced, dynamic, unpredictable work environment.
- Results-oriented mindset with a commitment to and willingness to do whatever it takes to reach the goal, including long and demanding working hours that occasionally extend to weeknights and weekends.
- A strong work ethic, deadline driven, with high standards for achievement.
- Versatile, with a strong ability to multi-task and juggle multiple assignments and deadlines at any time.
- Ability to clearly break down and explain a complex topic verbally and in writing, and an ability to listen and respond to input and factor in diverse perspectives in real time.
- Equipped with rigorous research skills, including familiarity with research methods and referencing / citation methods.
- Comfortable with strategic thinking, including the ability to draw linkages between and observe implications of the evidence available, to understand what the information suggests or points to.
- Comfortable with public speaking, and equipped with strong presentation skills.
- Must have extremely high attention to detail.
- Desire to contribute towards making the world a better place, and belief that a small group of committed and hard-working individuals can have a significant impact
- Intent to develop one’s potential to be a focused domain expert in climate change.
- Commensurate with experience and qualifications
PREFERRED CANDIDATE PROFILE
- HDI preferred but not a constraining requirement
- Exceptional fluency in written and verbal English (English as first language), with a second language, (particularly French and / or Portuguese will be an added advantage.
Closing date: 25 May 2018