Friends of the Verde River, located in the Verde Valley of Arizona, has an open position for a Program Associate. The Program Associate works closely with other staff, partner organizations, and consultants to implement and help manage the activities of the Verde River Exchange Water Offset Program, a collaborative program of Friends. The Exchange is an innovative pilot program that allows groundwater users to reduce their water footprint and impact on the Verde River through purchase of credits. The Program Associate is responsible for recruiting business participants to the program and helping represent the program to business leaders, Verde Valley residents, elected officials, and other local stakeholders; managing water offset transactions, contracts, and projects with program participants, water users, and partner conservation organizations; managing the programmatic budget, grant proposals and reporting to support the program; and coordinating, managing, and administering other aspects of program implementation and development.
- College degree (4-year) required; graduate level work is a plus.
- At least 3 years of responsible experience in managing projects; relevant graduate work may partially substitute for experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
- Ability to travel locally and regionally; reliable transportation, valid driver’s license, and auto insurance required
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for our mission and vision
- Knowledge of river conservation, water resources management, or natural resource markets is a plus.
- Ethical Behavior: Understand ethical behavior and practices and ensure that your own behavior is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
- Relationship Building: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Excellence in Communication: Speak, listen, and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Focus on Client Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster Collaboration & Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance effectiveness.
- Decision-making: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
The Verde River is one of the last remaining healthy, perennially flowing rivers left in Arizona. The Verde River system, including its connected streams, creeks and groundwater resources, supports the economies of rural Verde Valley communities and businesses both as a vital water supply and as a driver of tourism and recreation. Friends of the Verde River is a nonprofit conservation organization that has been working collaboratively at the local level for the past decade to restore and sustain river flows and restore riparian habitat, while building community connections to the Verde River and its tributaries.
Friends of the Verde River is an EEO employer. We offer a competitive package of benefits, including eleven holidays, three weeks of paid time off annually, health insurance stipend (may convert to an employer plan), and a 403b plan with employer match. Dependent on experience, salary for this exempt position is $47,000-51,000. Please submit a cover letter and resume in one pdf. This position is open until filled; we will begin reviewing applications May 8th. Visit our website for more information, VerdeRiver.org.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $47,000.00 to $51,000.00 /year
Experience: Project Management: 3 years
License: Driver’s License