Manager (Water Policy)
Hancock Farmland Services, Inc. (HFS) is a farmland property management business with offices in Turlock, California and Savoy, Illinois. Its subsidiary, Farmland Management Services (FMS) is a direct operator of farms in California and Wisconsin. Together, HFS and FMS provide farm management services for Hancock Agricultural Investment Group (HAIG) as part of HAIG’s integrated farmland investment management platform for institutional investors. HAIG is a division of Hancock Natural Resource Group, Inc. (HNRG), and HFS and FMS are HNRG subsidiaries.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITY: This position is responsible for the coordination and engagement in state and national-level water policy activities affecting Hancock Natural Resource Group (HNRG) and related entities including Hancock Agricultural Investment Group (HAIG), Hancock Farmland Services (HFS) and Farmland Management Services (FMS). The position is a supporting function to direct farm operations, acquisitions, dispositions, and client reporting as it pertains to water-related policy strategies, decision-making, and stakeholder engagement. The position reports to the President of HFS and will work closely with the Chief Operating Officer Western Permanent Crops of HFS, SVP Row Crops and Eastern Operations of HFS, Sr. Vice President of FMS California, as well as other colleagues.
SCOPE: HFS manages USD2.9 billion of agricultural farmland assets on behalf of its institutional investors including public and private plans. Our clients’ assets are located across 325,000 acres of prime farmland in major regions including California, the Midwest, the Mississippi Delta, the Pacific Northwest, the Southern Plains, Southeast United States and Quebec, Canada.
The Manager, Water Policy is a newly created function within HFS and is an integral part of a team of investment professional, risk managers, farm managers and farm operators. The Manager will collaborate and coordinate with groups throughout HNRG/HAIG and will work closely with the HNRG Director of Policy and Environmental Advocacy to support policy initiatives related to water, principally throughout the Western United States.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Work effectively with federal, state and local governing bodies
- Develop strong partnerships with conservation groups and agricultural interests
- Evaluate legislative and regulatory programs; develop and implement response
- Work with HFS management team to assess water management risks and opportunities
- Develop and oversee implementation of alternative land use strategies for water deficit lands
- Participate in development of projects and actions to enhance water resources for HFS-managed properties
- Work extensively with conservation, commerce and agricultural organizations, local communities, and diverse other constituencies to shape and advance company positions
- Develop and/or assess water marketing opportunities
- Support internal HNRG policy development and implementation.
- Support compliance with Manulife, HNRG, and HFS policies and procedures.
- Participate in appropriate sector associations
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Technical. Understanding of key water management terminology, techniques, methodologies, and technology
- Policy Strategy. Expertise in legislative and regulatory processes and ability to use such knowledge to develop rationale and effective policy strategies
- Advocacy. Ability to oversee all water advocacy with the public sector at the federal, state and local levels
- External Consultants & Sector Associations. Ability to manage external consultants and represent company within federal and state sector associations
- Policy Analysis and Development. Ability to monitor and research priority issues, prepare advocacy materials, draft documents
- Communications. Excellent written and oral communications regarding water policies and strategies
- Minimum 7 years of experience in public affairs, public policy, external affairs, or related discipline
- Bachelor's Degree in agriculture or natural resource related field and/or equivalent work experience
- Proven ability to work with all types of individuals both internal and external to the organization and function well in team settings
- Must have demonstrated strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to apply those skills to contentious issues
- Demonstrated strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects and conflicting priorities
- Must be highly motivated, entrepreneurial and customer service oriented
- Must be able to apply sound judgment in decision making with a strong orientation to detailed and high quality work
- Proficient skills in Microsoft Office applications: Excel, Word, Power Point, etc.
- Moderate Domestic and International travel is expected
- Must be able to travel by air and vehicle frequently, and frequently drive long distances
- Frequent sitting, standing, and walking, plus occasional lifting of up to 25 pounds
- View and type on computer screens for long periods
The position is targeted to be located in Turlock California; however based on the candidate, location flexibility may be granted including consideration of one of HNRG’s office’s within the Western U.S. or in a home office. Moderate travel domestically and internationally is expected.
Hancock Farmland Services and Farmland Management Services are subsidiaries of Hancock Agricultural Investment Group, a division of Hancock Natural Resource Group. We offer a competitive compensation and benefit package, a team oriented work environment and growth opportunities for its employees.
Hancock Natural Resource Group is committed to being an equal opportunity employer; and employs, trains, promotes and compensates individuals based on job-related qualifications and ability without regard to race, color, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, veteran or marital status.