Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Department: Engagement and Science
Reports to: Director of Engagement and Science
Direct reports: Research Managers
Salary: £36,000 to £41,000
Contract: Fixed term (14-month maternity cover)
Deadline for application: 20 May 2018
Interviews: Due to the immediate nature of this role, applications will be screened and candidates may be interviewed before the closing date.
Earthwatch is recruiting for a Senior Research Manager, for a fixed-term maternity cover, to manage the development, delivery and dissemination of our environmental research programme, with a focus on water quality, climate change and agriculture.
With a strong background in environmental science and extensive experience in project management, you will lead impactful research programmes and be an advocate for the importance of involving people through high quality engagement, learning and citizen science.
Earthwatch is an international environmental NGO. Our mission is to empower people to save our planet. We do this, by creating knowledge and inspiring action through hands-on science and environmental engagement. We address big environmental challenges by working together with individuals, communities and organisations. We aim to create a global community that values and nurtures a sustainable planet.
To manage the effective delivery and dissemination of an inspiring portfolio of impactful research programmes, with a particular focus on freshwater quality, climate change and agriculture, to manage the respective research teams and develop new research opportunities in line with Earthwatch strategic priorities.
- Manage a portfolio of projects aimed at reducing negative environmental impacts through engagement, scientific research and local action for and with both public and corporate audiences
- Design and conduct impactful scientific research into environmental threats and potential solutions, in particular related to water quality, climate change and agriculture, independently, with the wider research team and in collaboration with external principal investigators (PIs) as appropriate
- Forecast and manage project budgets and ensure that projects are delivered to a high standard, on time and within budget
- Inspire and line-manage research managers and coordinators and manage team capacity and capability
- Recruit and manage external PIs to lead on specific research projects, ensure they conduct impactful research on time and within budget and maintain strong working relationships with them
- Ensure project impact is created through both research outputs and personal learning for participants. Maximise impact through identifying and facilitating opportunities for policy and management influencing. Monitor and evaluate the impact of projects in line with Earthwatch monitoring and evaluation frameworks and processes and improve project delivery accordingly.
- Disseminate project outcomes through (co-authored) scientific publications as well as popular written and oral media (blogs, radio interviews etc.)
- Identify and develop new project opportunities through development of strategic partnerships and (research) funding applications
- Contribute to organisational fundraising by assisting both the fundraising team and the corporate development team with relevant applications and development opportunities
- Raise the profile of Earthwatch and its work through attendance of strategic external events
- Contributing to wider organizational priorities as required
- Strong background in and knowledge of environmental science (PhD or equivalent), with an understanding of a wide range of topics and appreciation of the challenges of field research
- Extensive experience in designing, delivering, analysing and disseminating impactful, applied field research
- Good understanding and knowledge of relevant frameworks and trends related to water quality, climate change and agriculture
- Demonstrable personal enthusiasm for stakeholder engagement and citizen science and an excellent understanding of participant motivations and current developments in this field
- Knowledge and understanding of sustainability agendas in the UK, Europe and Internationally
- Substantive experience in project management, including strategic project development, budget management, creating capacity and capability and effective monitoring and evaluation
- Ability to manage and develop a team, ideally with previous line management experience
- Ability to translate strategy into actionable plans which deliver against organisational objectives
- An established international research network
- Credible and persuasive, able to represent Earthwatch externally
- Strong communication skills with the ability to inspire and convey information clearly and concisely
- Excellent understanding and experience of the peer reviewed scientific publication process. Experience of policy influencing is highly desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to build effective relationships
- Proven ability to manage competing requirements, prioritise, deliver appropriate quality and deliver on time and within budget
- International work experience highly desirable
- Commitment to the mission and values of Earthwatch
The above list of job deliverables is not exclusive or exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.