The mission of the Green Climate Fund is to assist developing countries to respond to climate change while bringing prosperity to their peoples.
Established in 2010, the GCF invests in transformational climate projects in the developing world. The Fund makes an ambitious contribution to global climate action and channels significant financial resources into developing countries to help build low-emission and climate-resilient societies. It is country-driven and undertakes actions which reflect the circumstances of each country concerned and its national aspirations. The GCF is a key enabler of the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
Since its establishment, the GCF has mobilized 10.3 billion USD, accredited 54 entities to channel its resources and approved 43 funding proposals. In addition, it has built up an extensive program to support developing countries identify their needs, in particular those who are most vulnerable to climate change impacts.
The GCF’s diverse workforce is advancing its mission from its headquarters in South Korea. Our talented staff make unique contributions to the Fund, enriching the institution through their combined expertise and professional commitment.
We are looking to expand our team with more highly skilled and adaptable people who are driven by our mandate, people who appreciate challenges and know how to deliver and thrive in a fast moving, dynamic environment.
The GCF Secretariat is seeking for a (Private Sector) Senior Climate Change Policy Specialist to support the strengthening of the investment programs of its Private Sector Facility with the view to improve the quality and climate rationale of future investments and to assist in the development of GCF’s private sector strategy by ensuring high climate rationale and high transformational potential.
The Senior Climate Change Policy Specialist will support the Private Sector Facility management team and the entire DPSF team by contributing to deepen the understanding of climate change imperatives within the Division while supporting with other climate related analytical and policy works of GCF. He/she will support the team in meeting the increasing demand of ensuring all private sector investments make a significant and ambitious contribution to climate change responses in developing countries, in a manner that is country driven and able to drive the paradigm shift, with a dedicated responsiveness to GCF direct access private sector partners in the developing world.
Duties and responsibilities
- Integral part of the investment role and design with the view to improving the quality of the programs, pipeline and portfolio, the position of the (Private Sector) Senior Climate Change Policy Specialist will require to:
- Support the entire development phase of programmes and projects for the DPSF and ensure they are made more consistent with GCF’s mandate;
- Serves as an integral climate resource person for the Division, working with all the specialists and task managers to ensure all programmes and projects are of high quality and robust from climate perspective and investment thesis;
- Collaborate within the PSF team and across other GCF’ operational teams to support the development of climate policy papers or the integration of climate change considerations in all the GCF policy papers led by the Division;
- Develop and implement solutions that show a deep understanding of country climate change context and how Private Sectors Clients can better ensure alignment of their investments with country priorities, with the view to achieve results that are financially, environmentally and socially sustainable;
- Share new insights based on in-depth understanding of the new climate economy and make recommendations for solutions that will meet current and future needs of private sectors clients to support countries transition towards low emission and climate resilient economies;
- Consistently engages others in open dialogue, reconciling conflicting viewpoints where necessary, and incorporates these viewpoints into solutions, including by leveraging expertise of all team members to ensure successful outcomes; and
- Encourage and work with others, including external partners, to identify opportunities, incubate and implement relevant solutions to support the DPSF in designing the appropriate framework that ensure all investments are consistent with the GCF’s mandate.
Expected experience and qualifications*
- Master’s Degree in climate change, economics, environment, energy or related fields;
- Minimum 11 years of experience, of which at least 9 relevant years in climate investment and/or finance, climate policy analysis, climate change negotiation etc.;
- Good understanding of the Green Climate Fund (GCF) operations, of the United Nations Framework on Climate Change (UNFCCC) processes as well as of the global climate finance architecture is essential;
- Work experience in developing countries, as well as ability to support and engage with developing countries to ensure a consistent delivery of climate investment and finance; and
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential for this position; knowledge of another UN language an advantage.
*The person assessed by the Selection Panel as most suitable for the position will be proposed for appointment. The above criteria should be seen as indicators of the qualifications, experience and skills that would qualify candidates for consideration. Other combinations of academic qualifications and years of experience may be considered. Selection among short-listed candidates will also take into account performance at interview, appropriate testing and references.
Eligibility for certain benefits shall depend on the place of recruitment and residence, as determined by the Fund in accordance with its rules.
- Planning and Organizing
- Team work
- Client orientation
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to send their CV and a letter of interest in a single PDF file to: [email protected]
File name: “[last name], [first name]” (e.g. Peterson, Anna)
Subject line: “Senior Climate Change Policy Specialist”
Applications from women and nationals of developing countries are strongly encouraged.