844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a better life that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we have been pioneering market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis for more than 25 years, giving women hope, children health and communities a future.
The Sr. Public Affairs Specialist is fundamental to amplifying awareness of and engagement in Water.org’s mission and positioning Water.org as an entrepreneurial leader that is using smart solutions to solve one of the world’s greatest challenges.
Success in this position requires strength in strategic thinking and day-to-day execution with public affairs or public relations background. Excellent relationship skills, skill finding shared value opportunities, and the ability to forge lasting and effective relationships with partners to drive awareness and compel action across diverse audiences are critical.
This position will report to the Sr. Advisor, Public Affairs based in Kansas City, MO.
Strategy and Operations
- Develop annual public affairs strategy and requisite messaging, content, and supporting materials to achieve Water.org organizational objectives.
- Work closely with external consultant(s) to manage work flows in support of short and long-term public affairs plans.
- Design and refine internal systems and processes to ensure efficiency and success
- Maintain protocol as established for requests for co-founder participation in press, speaking, and award opportunities.
- Manage internal and external outcome reporting.
- Design, maintain, and execute an internal communications system to inform teams of planned activities in advance.
Content Development and Outreach
- Maintain a calendar of public affairs editorials coalesced around specific points in time, i.e. UN General Assembly, Milken Global, World Economic Forum Annual Meeting, Stockholm World Water Week, etc.
- Develop best-in-class communications that tell the Water.org story across key constituents. Projects include but are not limited to: contributions to long-form white papers and ghostwrite blog postings, and opinion pieces
- In collaboration with Enabler Partnerships, Strategic Alliances, and WaterEquity support conferences and events with content, talking points
- Direct research as needed to develop organizational positioning around specific initiatives to support Water.org appearances and interviews.
Media and Speaking
- Serve as the chief publicist for Water.org’s senior leaders leveraging unique assets to position Water.org strategically through top tier media placements, speaking opportunities, and writing.
- Provide comprehensive briefings in advance of media and speaking opportunities to Water.org senior leaders.
- Actively seek out awards that strengthen the global reputation of Water.org in line with organizational objectives.
- Evaluate, track, prioritize, and elevate speaking and media requests for Water.org co-founders.
- Support appearances of Water.org staff at conferences and events.
- Participation as requested in organization wide events.
- Support Strategist to project manage one to three high-level conferences and co-founder field visits.
- Co-develop and execute strategies for globally recognized events.
- Individual contributor with no subordinates.
This description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required. Some duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Manages multiple projects and processes across the department.
Skills and competencies
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications required.
- Minimum of six years of relevant work experience including but not limited to working with corporate or nonprofit executives directly supporting public affairs or public relations.
- Candidate must be proficient in Microsoft Office, Outlook, Word, Excel, Acrobat Pro and PowerPoint in particular; social media knowledge and experience a plus.
- Experience with global communications preferred.
- Willingness to travel up to 20% domestically and internationally.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement. Salary will be based on education and experience, and will coincide with similar nonprofit organizations in international development.