844 million people – about one in nine – lack access to safe water. 2.3 billion people don’t have access to a toilet. We are working every day to change this. We are Water.org. We’re here to bring water and sanitation to the world. We want to make it safe, accessible and cost-effective because we believe that water is the way to empowering a better life that we can all share in, worldwide. We are an international nonprofit organization based in Kansas City, Missouri that has positively transformed millions of lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation. Founded by Gary White and Matt Damon, we have been pioneering market-driven financial solutions to the global water crisis for more than 25 years, giving women hope, children health and communities a future.
The Senior Portfolio Manager is a professional position that is directly accountable for effective execution of activities in her/his assigned Region. This includes initiative management, support for program implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and global learning activities. S/he is additionally responsible for participating as a key contributor to exploration and strategy, pipeline development, and donor support.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities
The Senior Portfolio Manager is a professional position that is directly accountable and/or responsible for the successful execution of the activities listed below. Activities for which s/he is Accountable, s/he has the final authority for decisions related to the activities and determines the level of responsibility other staff members will have in performing the work. S/he may also be responsible for carrying out the work; however, other staff members who are responsible for performing these activities are accountable to the Senior Portfolio Manager. Activities for which the Senior Portfolio Manager is Responsible, s/he will perform work related to the activities but is answerable to the staff member who holds the accountability for the task.
Key areas of accountability and responsibility are listed below, alongside current expectations of time associated with these activities.
Exploration and Strategy (5%)
Develop programmatic strategy and facilitate research and development of new models for implementing programs and/or developing new channels for implementation. Key activities include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in strategy sessions at the regional level and assist with developing regional work plans. (Accountable to Senior Regional Manager)
- Assist with identifying opportunities for creation of new markets for Water Supply and Sanitation (WSS) finance services in region. Assist with drafting TORs and advertising for consultant proposals. (Accountable to Senior Regional Manager)
- Assist with developing and initiating consultant contracts at the regional level for market assessments, sector-specific assessments, and other strategy development activities. (Accountable to Senior Regional Manager)
Pipeline Development (10%)
Cultivate potential future partnership opportunities for Water.org models and approaches. Key activities include, but are not limited to:
- Determine which partners are certified consistent with organizational goals, available funding, and initiative budgets, targets and goals. (Responsible with Program Officer)
- Assist with reviewing Expression of Interest (EOI) documents and determining whether organizations are eligible for partnership. (Accountable to Program Officer)
- Assist with conducting partner certification/due diligence visits and writing reports as needed. (Accountable to Program Officer)
Donor Support and Fundraising (5%)
Support Strategic Alliances team in fundraising for program implementation in assigned region.
- Assist with determining funding needs for a new program and ensuring strategic alignment with commitments to donors. (Accountable to Senior Regional Manager)
- Assist with developing initiative and/or program budgets for funding proposals. (Accountable to Senior Regional Manager)
- Participate in program and/or initiative review meetings with the Strategic Alliances team to update stakeholders on initiative and/or program progress. (Accountable to Senior Regional Manager)
Global Learning (15%)
Support to the Global Learning team to improve Water.org’s ability to execute, expand, and apply its program models to new geographies; learn from partnerships in order to improve partner performance; encourage other practitioner organizations to apply WaterCredit principles; serve as a resource base for practitioners; and enable Water.org to further position itself as the leader in WSS finance and services sector.
- Provide program information and content to Global Learning team for learning materials and publications. (Responsible with Senior Regional Manager, Country Director and Program Officer)
- Review learning materials, publications, and presentations and provide input and edits to the Global Learning team for technical content. (Responsible)
- Support the Global Learning and M&E teams in planning for learning events such as Partner Exchange Visits and WaterCredit forums. (Responsible with Country Director and Program Officer)
- Participate in the Community of Practice online practitioners’ forum, engaging in discussions, answering questions, and encouraging partners to participate. (Accountable to Program Officer)
Initiative Management (40%)
Manage and coordinate the achievement of initiative-level deliverables for assigned region.
- Determine sizes of programs – number of people served, total budget, number of loans – based on available funding and commitments to donors. (Responsible with Program Officer)
- Work with M&E team on M&E plans for initiatives (e.g. timeline for baseline/end line surveys, case studies, metrics to be tracked, etc.). Assist with providing program information to inform evaluation design and activities. Review and provide input on baseline or end line reports before reports are finalized. (Responsible with Program Officer)
- Monitor initiative-level progress toward deliverables and budget burn rates and course correct as needed to remain on time and on budget. (Responsible)
- Respond to requests within Water.org for program data and/or validate data for internal stakeholders. (Responsible)
- Contribute to risk mitigation at the initiative level by addressing areas of risk and creating and implementing risk mitigation plans. (Accountable to Senior Regional Manager)
Program Design and Implementation (10%)
Provide support for the design and implementation of Water.org models and approaches.
- Prepare grant agreements and corresponding documents and templates for new programs. (Responsible with Program Officer)
- Finalize grant agreements and secure signatures from parties. (Responsible)
- Assist with reviewing partner Concept Notes and/or proposals. (Accountable to Program Officer)
- Support the payment processes for partner disbursements and payments to third parties. (Accountable to Program Officer)
- Assist with troubleshooting when program elements are off track. For example, assist with fact- finding, discussions with partners, developing solutions, and development of mitigation plans. (Accountable to Program Officer)
Program Monitoring and Evaluation (10%)
Provide support for monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Develop and/or refine partner reporting templates at the beginning of a program or initiative, as needed. (Responsible with Program Officer)
- Update partner and program information on a regular basis in the WaterPortal. Review and analyze partner and program data in the WaterPortal and send feedback to key stakeholders. Ensure issues with partner WaterPortal data are resolved in a timely manner. (Responsible with Program Officer)
- Assist with programmatic and impact evaluations, including contributing to evaluation design, facilitating evaluation activities, and reviewing reports. (Responsible)
- Review partner loan data uploads in the WaterPortal and complete final approval or rejection of data. (Accountable to Program Officer)
- Review and analyze partner program data and metrics, make recommendations, and share observations with US-based staff as required. (Accountable to Program Officer)
- Review and provide feedback on program monitoring visit (PMV) reports and other programmatic evaluations, including survey data, and share with US-based staff as needed. (Accountable to Program Officer)
- Review proposed revisions to partner work plans and budgets and complete approval process. (Accountable to Program Officer)
- Assist M&E team with enhancements to M&E guidelines, tools, etc. (Accountable to Senior Regional Manager)
Other Activities (5%)
Human Resources Management
Manage human resources within assigned region, including recruitment, staff compensation, performance management, and professional development.
- Assist with onboarding and job training, as assigned, for new US-based team members. (Accountable to Senior Regional Manager)
- Provide mentorship to new US-based team members. (Accountable to Senior Regional Manager)
Support Strategic Alliances team in managing donor relationships and progress reports to donors.
- Serve as project manager on behalf of the International Programs team for donor visits. (Responsible with Program Officer)
- Provide programmatic content for progress reports to donors. (Responsible)
- Participate in donor meetings and calls to provide program updates. (Accountable to Senior Regional Manager)
Marketing, Communications and Brand Partnership Support
Provide support to the Marketing, Communications and Brand Partnerships teams regarding program implementation.
- Upon request, validate information in stories, blog posts, tweets, etc. written by the marketing and communications team. (Responsible)
- Periodically provide feedback to the marketing team on campaigns to ensure sensitivity, particularly regarding beneficiaries. (Responsible with Senior Regional Manager)
- Provide information for updates to the website (e.g. updates to country pages & solutions page). Validate information in stories, blog posts, tweets, etc. as needed. (Responsible)
- Collect beneficiary/partner stories and photos from partner reports and channel to the marketing and communications team for use in publications. (Responsible with Program Officer)
- Participate in working groups for special communications and marketing activities. (Accountable to Senior Regional Manager)
Individual contributor with no subordinates.
Manages multiple projects and processes within the department.
Skills and competencies
- Program and Portfolio Management – Skilled at managing a project lifecycle, overseeing the implementation of several related projects, mitigating risk, and handing multiple unrelated projects and activities at one time.
- Sectoral Knowledge- Sound and up-to-date knowledge of concepts, methodologies and techniques including demonstrated expertise in at least one specialty area within finance, WSS and/or international economic development. Clear understanding of issues related to gender and inequality in development and demonstrated commitment to promoting gender equality and pro-poor strategies within the organization and in program work. Innovative mind-set oriented toward constructive problem-solving, proactive strategic development and thought leadership. Familiarity with capacity building and technical assistance programs in the finance and WSS on sectors.
- Networking – Possesses strong contacts within local financial institutions (e.g. microfinance institutions, commercial banks, mobile network operators, cooperatives, etc.), relevant local governmental institutions, the local development sector, the WSS sector, and other relevant stakeholders. Demonstrated ability to identify new opportunities, establish cross-sector partnerships and design programs that are creative and leverage different stakeholders’ capacities.
- Customer Focus – Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Nimble Learning – Actively learning through experimentation when talking new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
- Drives Results – Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Collaborates – Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Self-development – Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged using other formal and informal development channels.
- Optimize Work Processes – Knowing the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Manages Ambiguity – Manages ambiguity by operating effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear.
- Instills Trust – Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
- Financial Stewardship – Demonstrates fiscally responsible decision making as applicable to one’s role.
- Master’s degree in related field required. Additional relevant certifications, trainings and coursework also considered and preferred.
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant experience within the finance, WSS, and/or international economic development sectors with increasing levels of experience and responsibility.
- At least 8 years of project and program management experience required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in facilitation and capacity building to ensure collaboration and linkages between staff, donors, partners and stakeholders.
- Foreign language proficiency in one or more languages in assigned region preferred.
- Experience working or living in Southeast Asia strongly preferred.
- Proficient Tagalog or other Southeast Asian language skills preferred
Willingness to travel up to 30% domestically and internationally.
Salary and benefits
This position offers full-time benefits, including medical/dental insurance, life and disability insurance, retirement program and periodic review for merit and incentive pay based on organizational and personal achievement. Salary will be based on education and experience, and will coincide with similar nonprofit organizations in international development.
Please apply at the link above. Please title your attachments with lastname, firstname. Submissions will be reviewed as they are received. PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT US FOR STATUS UPDATES.