Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB’s mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB’s main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
The Environment Economist will provide technical inputs and analyses in the identification, design, development, processing, and evaluation of loan and technical assistance (TA) projects in the division’s regional member countries and ensure economic and environmental soundness and consistency with policies and strategies to further development in the environment, agriculture, natural resources, and rural development. The incumbent will process and administer TA and investment projects focusing on environmental conservation and sustainable natural resource development, including policies to encourage sound environmental governance and related institutional reform. He/she will contribute to the development and evaluation of environment, agriculture, natural resources, and rural development policy in the National Poverty Reduction Strategies of developing member countries (DMCs). He/she will work with broad policies and objectives, working directly with clients, with supervision for critical tasks. The incumbent will report to Director, EAER and will supervise National and Administrative staff.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s Degree, or equivalent, in Economics, preferably with specialization in environmental economics, or other related fields. University degree in Economics, preferably with specialization in environmental economics, or other related fields combined with at least 5 years’ specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- At least 8 years of relevant professional experience in environment, agriculture, natural resources, and rural development as well as exposure in the full project cycle (i.e. programming, project processing, and project administration)
- International experience working in development in several countries
- Proven application of expertise in Economics, or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area
- Able to utilize and share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- Able to act as a mentor to the more junior team members, providing guidance on projects or processing of loans/technical assistance
- Able to act as a coach to develop capabilities/potential of more junior colleagues
- Able to act as a team leader when required with supervision from the Director or a more senior team leader
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Levels 3 – 4
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB’s standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.