Background Information – Job-specific
Based on a regional inter-agency agreement, UNOPS is providing support to UNEP´s Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean (UNEP-ROLAC) and the Southern Cone Office for the recruitment of different project personnel. In this context, UNOPS wishes to recruit an experienced environmental affairs expert for six (6) months to join the UNEP-ROLAC and the Southern Cone Office team related to the following working area:
The Group of Twenty (G20) is a leading forum of the world’s major economies that seeks to develop global policies to address today is most pressing challenges. The G20 is made up of 19 countries and the European Union. The 19 countries are Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Germany, France, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States.
Argentina has the presidency in 2018 of the G20 in 2018 and the government has requested UN Environment´s support to the Sustainable Climate Working Group of the Sherpa track of its presidency.
Moreover, Argentina is leading the regional Forum of Ministers of Environment of Latin America and the Caribbean. The group is an intergovernmental space of political discussion and agreement around environmental issues affecting the region (some of them related to discussions and issues addressed by other intergovernmental fora, such as the G20) and an opportunity for the region to get a common position on the road to the next UN Environmental Assembly.
The EUROCLIMA+ programme is to contribute to environmentally sustainable and more climate-resilient development of Latin America, particularly where it affects living conditions of vulnerable populations. Doing so will support the effective implementation of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change. EUROCLIMA is part of the initiatives UN Environment implements in the region and its specific objective is continued and intensified climate change related strategic dialogue and knowledge management as well as the reinforcement of the capacity of Latin American countries to mitigate and to adapt to climate change. EUROCLIMA+ promotes cooperation on climate-change related topics between Latin America and the EU, in particular through:
(a) consideration to the external dimension of EU climate policy;
(b) the provision of technical climate change expertise / knowledge transfer;
(c) the creation of space for strategic dialogue in the context of climate change international and regional fora;
(d) activities that could play a critical/catalytic role in paving the ways for investments and, through
(e) pilot projects in selected sectors.
The overall objectives of the consultancy are divided into three groups:
1) Argentine G20 Presidency:
- Support to the climate sustainability work stream and the work plan of the Sherpa track providing information and analysis about environmental issues and discussions in other international fora based on the demands and needs of the Argentinean authorities;
- Interact and support demands on environmental issues from G20 affinity groups, such as the T20 and the B20;
- Support activities of the UN Country Team G20 Task Force
- Logistics of UN Environment missions and participation in G20 related events and activities
- Keep abreast UN Environment leadership of the G20 progress and opportunities for Un Environment engagement as necessary
- Identify and codify lessons emerging for future engagement with the G20 and similar intergovernmental fora.
2) Support the Argentine Presidency in the framework of the Forum of Ministers of the Environment of Latin America and the Caribbean:
- Support the Ministry of Environment in the definition, preparation and implementation of the Forum agenda leading to the 4th UN Environment Assembly
- Support UN Environment role as Secretariat of the Forum of Ministers during the Argentine Presidency and help linking it to other intergovernmental processes, including the G20
- Promote and support topics regarding electric mobility and ecosystems-based adaptation measures within the Forum´s activities
- Contribute to the policy-dialogue component under the EUROCLIMA-UN Environment agreement, within the Forum.
3) UN Environment activities in Argentina and the Southern Cone, including EUROCLIMA plus:
- Support the activities of the Montevideo Sub-regional office, with a focus on climate change and activities in the framework of EUROCLIMA plus.
- Support the project cycle of UN Environment climate change initiatives in Argentina and the sub-region, considering key priorities and needs (climate change, electric mobility, policy dialogue, and ecosystems-based adaptation)
- Help identify support and cooperation opportunities to the Government of Argentina
- Liaises with UN Environment partners and potential collaborators
The consultant will be directly supervised by the Director for the Sub-regional Office for the Southern Cone, with the Climate Change Coordinator in the UN Environment Regional Office for Latin America as second supervisor.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent is required in environment, sustainable development, environmental law, environmental engineering, environmental economics, or similar.
- A first-level university degree is required plus additional years of experience (+7) may be accepted in lieu of a Master university degree.
- Fluency in Spanish is required.
- Fluency in English is required
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: International Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA)
Lumpsum payment modality. All payments will be issued upon confirmation by the supervisor in written of his/her clearance of the below-described deliverable
Contract level: IICA-2
Contract duration: Six (6) months
UNOPS is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. We encourage female candidates to apply.
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link:
Terms of Reference_IICA 2.pdf (168 KB)