DRC is an International non-governmental organization, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world.
In Uganda, DRC assists the refugees from neighboring countries mainly DR Congo and South Sudan in the South West, West and West Nile region of the country. DRC’s assistance to refugees have been both emergency assistance to address the short term influxes from the neighboring countries as well as to address the sustainable solutions for the refugees. DRC is currently implementing a multi donor WASH response to address live saving humanitarian WASH needs amongst the refugees as well as supporting local communities as part for the ReHoPE strategy.
This position is based in Rhino camp and will be providing support to the implementation of DRC WASH Program. The job will require frequent travel within the project Area including constant support to neighboring camps.
The post refers to a trained DRC staff with vast knowledge of the contextual area of operations and responsible for the day to day operations in the beneficiary communities as outlined by the WASH Coordinator. The post holder is directly responsible for all aspects of Engineering wotks across grants for WASH projects in Rhino Camp.
Additionally the WASH/Engineering Officer is expected to participate in certification of completed projects for payment together with district technical teams. He/s will ensure that technical specifications for all infrastructure works are in line with DRC’s construction manual.
Supervise all constructions under DRC implementation projects in the settlement and ensure that works are carried out as per set standards specified in the drawings, designs and technical specifications.
Ensure efficient and Effective program implementation while following the budget and work plan.
Design drawings, project cost estimation and preparation of BOQ of various infrustructure projects and liaise with the district authorities for approval of plans
Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/ reports and proposals and budgets for donors.
Coordination and representation:**
- Collaborate with relevant Internal and External technical experts on issues related to WASH/Infrustructure.
- Represent DRC at WASH Cluster meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings with the donor and external partners on all aspects related to WASH/Infrustructure..
- Coordinate with WASH counterparts in Rhino camp and other locations in the implementation of common funded projects.
- Ensure good representation and reputation of WASH Sector at all levels.
- Actively participate in internal coordination meeting
- Ensure and actively participate in a regular sector meeting.
- Together with the WASH coordinator, initiate development of project concepts and proposal documents in respect to WASH.
- Develop the project’s M&E tools for monitoring the technical aspects on WASH/Infrustructure..
Project implementation and reporting:
- Ensure proper management of WASH project grants through budget control using agreed budget tracker (s).
- Ensure effective implementation of the construction/infrastructure projects in line with the UN and the Uganda National Standards and Policies.
- Monitor and Evaluate the WASH/infrastructure Projects.
- Provide technical support to WASH Assistants to ensure they execute their duties effectively.
- Ensure quality control of implementation of WASH/Infrastructure activities in accordance to Sphere, UNHCR and the Uganda National standards.
- Prepares daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports to relevant authorities.
- Execute other duties as signed by the supervisor,
- Supervise the WASH Assistants.
- Uphold DRC’s code of conduct and principles of accountability.
- Provide technical and programmatic leadership for WASH staff members and community based staff in Rhino camp operational area as needed.
- Assist in the development of staff performance objectives, targets and appraise them based on the set targets.
- Conduct daily field visits to support field staffs – mentoring – through technical back stopping and to train duty bearers.
- Support the WASH Coordinator to monitor financial commitments and expenditures against budgets and provide timely feedback on budget follow ups on a daily/weekly/ annual basis.
- Plan and coordinate proactively logistics and movements of staff from and to different clusters within the Project Implementation Area.
- Initiate procurements and ensure their execution.
- Ensure the delivery of supplies to the right beneficiaries following our SOPs.
- Contribute to grants management of WASH projects through management of day to day project expenditures.
The WASH/Engineering Officer reports to WASH Coordinator.
- The ideal candidate for the Danish Refugee Council (DRC) Engineering Officer Job placement must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in civil engineering from a recognized University or Institution. Possession of a PGD in Project Planning and Management
- A minimum of five years of relevant work experience in a busy construction industry, two of which must have been with an NGO in a refugee/ displacement context
- Ability to provide technical leadership in a multidisciplinary setting;
- Proven ability to work creatively and independently both in the field and office;
- Ability to work with culturally diverse groups of people;
- Computer literacy is a must
- Computer literacy is a must with proficiency in EPANET, CAD, Ms Excel and words.
- Ability to work in physically challenging conditions and under pressure, in a culturally diverse society
- Proven commitment to accountable practices.
- Knowledge of working in challenging environments.
- Proven ability to manage large varied workloads and deal constructively with stress and periods with long hours.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision
- Proactive, stable and robust character and a good team player.
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations at all levels.