It’s hard to believe that today 844 million people do not have clean water and 2.3 billion do not have a decent toilet – around one in three of the world’s population. Every two minutes a child under five dies from diarrheal diseases caused by poor water and sanitation.
WaterAid is looking for a WASH specialist (Sanitation) to play a vital role in our mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere.
Working within the Bauchi State office, the WASH Specialist (Sanitation) will:
- Take leadership for the effective implementation of Sustainable Total Sanitation (STS) approach that includes CLTS, sanitation marketing and hygiene behaviour change activities implemented by WaterAid Nigeria and its partners in the state
- As part of the State programme team, work with partners to build ownership and accountability for programmes in line with the programme quality standards outlined in the WaterAid programme accountability framework; make suggestions for improvements where gaps exist
- Work in close collaboration with the Sector Capacity & Support Manager to assess institutional capacity of RUWASSA, Ministry of Water resources, LGAs, Utilities, private sector, CSOs and community actors to deliver sanitation services and to develop management models; use the results of the capacity assessments to design participatory action plans to strengthen capacity of these institutions to deliver sustainable sanitation services
- Implement and manage programmatic activities in line with WaterAid’s strategic direction and specific grant donor requirements; monitor and evaluate progress in line with WaterAid’s PMER standards and guidelines
To be successful, you’ll need to:
- Have university Degree in civil engineering, water resources engineering, geology or public health.
- Have a minimum of three (3) years’ work experience of which at least 2 would ideally be in WASH, public health, environmental health or community health management, working in the public, private or NGO sector
- Experience with design and construction of water facilities and water quality analysis etc. will be an advantage
- Demonstrable understanding of development programme management approaches
- Fully committed to WaterAid’s vision, mission and values and a way of working that demonstrates this, with the ability to communicate this enthusiasm to others.
Find the full job description below
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your application, consisting of a letter of interest and a CV to [email protected] using the job title as the subject of the email.
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
Please note: to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Nigeria.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
No recruitment agencies please.