WaterAid Nigeria is implementing the Strengthening WASH Delivery Systems in Nigeria (SWADS) project in Bauchi State with funding from the Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC). The SWADS project aims at strengthening the WASH enabling environment in Kirfi LGA of Bauchi State. Through this project, we hope to model how the systems in a Local Government Area (LGA) setting can be strengthened towards increasing access to equitable and sustainable WASH services. This will become a reference point for replication to achieve saturation of WASH services initially in other parts of Bauchi State and subsequently, in other parts of Nigeria.
WaterAid is looking for a WASH specialist (Water) to play a vital role in our mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere by 2030. Please note that this role is a 2 year fixed term (renewable) for immediate start.
Working within the WaterAid Nigeria, Bauchi State team, the State WASH Specialist (Water) will:
- Take leadership for the effective implementation of rural water facilities to deliver clean water that meets the WaterAid critical minimum water quality standards.
- Work in close collaboration with the Sector Capacity & Support Manager to assess institutional capacity of RUWASSA, Ministry of Water resources, LGAs, Utilities, private sector and community actors to deliver water services and to develop management models; use the results of the capacity assessments to design participatory action plans to strengthen capacity of these institutions to deliver water service
- Facilitate and supervise the feasibility studies and design of technology and management models; promoting and supporting the scaling up/replication of such models across the LGA’s and in the state financed projects
- Ensure all infrastructure constructions to be implemented in the state are in line with WaterAid technical designs specifications and national standards. Support state and LGA’s to replicate similar standards and models in state and LGA financed constructions
- Develop a viable system than ensure the maintenance of services (WASH) and that involves community structures, state structures and private operators (district mechanics);
- Support the state institutions and LGAs to develop their procurement and quality assurance processes for water facilities construction for communities, health facilities, schools and public places
To be successful, you’ll need to:
- Have a graduate with a University Degree in Geology, or Civil Engineering. Applicants with Water Supply, Water Resources Management specialty will have an advantage
- Have a proven experience of at least (3) years’ in designing and implementing large scale WASH facilities suitable for a wide range of context
- Demonstrate a good understanding of the social and technical aspects of WASH programmes
- Demonstrable understanding of development programme management approaches
- Be fully committed to WaterAid’s vision, mission and values and a way of working that demonstrates this, with the ability to communicate this enthusiasm to others.
Find the full job description below.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your application, consisting of a letter of interest and a CV to [email protected] using the job title as the subject of the email.
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
Please note: to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Nigeria.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications.
No recruitment agencies please.