About the role
Opportunity to join leading international climate NGO working on an exciting project with regional governments in Brazil, India, South Africa and Mexico.
The Climate Group is looking for a talented and experienced project manager to lead a multi-country capacity building project on Measurement, Reporting and Verification.
Working closely with The Climate Group’s Under2 team, the project partner organizations and local implementation partners and stakeholders in Brazil, India, Mexico and South Africa, you will play a key role in guiding and implementing the day to day activities of the project. Our aim is to provide capacity building to regional governments to improve their emissions measurement and management.
About The Climate Group
Accelerating climate action.
A world of less than 2oC of global warming and greater prosperity for all, without delay.
How we do it
- We bring together powerful networks, of businesses and governments, which shift global markets and policies, towards this goal
- We act as a catalyst to take innovation and solutions to scale. And we use the power of communication to build ambition and pace.
- We focus on the greatest global opportunities for change.
The Climate Group is an international non-profit with offices in London, New Delhi and New York.
About Under2 Coalition
The Under2 Coalition brings together 205 governments, spanning six continents and 43 countries committing to reduce their GHG emissions toward net-zero by 2050. The Climate Group acts as Secretariat to the Under2 Coalition and works directly with government signatories and partners of the Under2 MOU to drive net-zero ambition and action.
The Under2 MOU is a commitment by sub-national governments to reduce their greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions toward net-zero by 2050. Central to this is the public commitment by all signatories to reduce their GHG emissions by 80-95% on 1990 levels, or 2 metric tons of carbon dioxide-equivalent per capita, by 2050.
More information can be found here: https://www.theclimategroup.org/project/under2-coalition
About the Under2 Coalition’s transparency work
The Under2 Coalition is supporting signatories in strengthening their greenhouse gas (GHG) accounting capacity, increase transparent disclosure of their climate change mitigation progress and solve the most challenging sectoral accounting challenges. For governments, a robust understanding of their region-wide emissions is essential to raise public awareness of climate change and functions as the backbone of their climate plan. It is also an essential element for supporting their national government with improving their national GHG inventories and the implementation and expansion of their NDCs.
The Climate Group, as Secretariat of the Under2 Coalition, helps regions in developing and newly industrialized countries to better understand the mitigation opportunities by improving and expanding MRV1 of GHG emissions and undertaking MRV of mitigation actions where sufficiently robust GHG inventories are in place.
You will be able to demonstrate proven capabilities in the following areas:
- Experience managing multi-country projects (preferably in some of the target countries – Brazil, India, Mexico and South-Africa) on climate-related issues.
- Experience managing relationships and working with governments in Latin-America, Africa and/or India (preferably at the subnational level).
- Experience implementing projects and/or programs funded by bilateral organizations (e.g. DFID, USAID, GIZ, and others)
- Experience working on Inventory, Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (I/MRV) and/or capacity building and technical assistance projects aimed at government representatives (preferably in climate-related issues).
- Proven track record of success in project delivery, including managing subcontractors to ensure fulfilment of the project schedule and quality of work.
- Excellent communications skills and ability to collaborate with multiple stakeholders internally and externally.
- Demonstrable experience of working autonomously for project planning, management and reporting.
- Experience managing and coordinating projects funded by the International Climate Initiative (IKI) of the German Environment Ministry (BMUB).
- Experience coordinating and/or developing knowledge products, webinars and workshops for sharing lessons on projects and knowledge transfer among networks.
- Fluent in Spanish and/or Portuguese.
- Knowledge of project management software (e.g. Microsoft Project, FinancialForce)
- Ensure timely delivery of the “Under2 Coalition: MRV in developing and newly industrializing countries” project.
- Lead program review and reporting, in coordination with global functional teams, including the communications, fundraising and finance team, liasing with the subcontractor and implementation partners.
- Closely manage the subcontractor’s compliance with donor requirements, quality of work and milestones achievement adhering to the project’s budget and scheduling.
- Proactively monitor the project’s progress against outcome and outputs’ indicators, and milestones identifying potential risks and planning to solve these.
- Liaise with target governments of the Under2 Coalition to understand their progress on developing and maintaining a robust GHG inventory backed by sound Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV) processes.
- Support the coordination of the Transparency work stream, including participating in conference calls with partners.
Communications and events
- Work closely with the Under2 communications manager to ensure that TCG communications and events align and support the aims of the project and the Under2 Coalition’s mission.
- Ensure effective, external communication of project aims and milestones, in line with the Under2 coalition’s aims, with the support of the global communications team and Head of Global Government Engagement.
- Represent the organization as a senior representative to external stakeholders in conference calls and events.
- Mentoring of other Under2 team members
- Make use of FinancialForce for the management of the project including but not limited to assigning tasks, timecards and budget management.
- Undertake other tasks to support across the team when required.
This position is to be ideally based in London but we are open to discuss opportunity to be based in New York or Mexico. Travel will be required.
Terms and conditions
This is full-time fixed term contract position for aproximately 30 months. We offer competitive salary based on experience, plus the following benefits if based in London:
- 25 days’ holiday pro rata, plus public holidays
- 10% non-contributory pension scheme following three months’ service
- Private healthcare on completion of probation
- Life Assurance
- Subsidized gym membership
- Season ticket loan
How to apply
Use the ‘Apply’ button to apply for this vacancy. Should you require further information or an informal discussion, please contact Jean-Charles Seghers, Head of Climate Transparency at [email protected]
Applications for the position should come in the form of a CV and cover letter.
The expected closing date for applications is 13th of May 2018.
The requisite eligibility criteria, or work visa to work in the UK or any of the other locations are a requirement for this position and no relocation costs with be borne by The Climate Group.