ATREE seeks a leader to position the organization to meet contemporary environmental challenges. The Director of ATREE must have the ability to lead the organization in accomplishing its mission. He or she will enhance the profile of the organization, inspire the confidence of ATREE’s core staff, and oversee programs, internal operations and external relations.
Set up in 1996 as a knowledge-generating institution to meet India’s pressing environmental challenges, ATREE’s vision is of a society living in harmony with nature. ATREE’s mission is to generate knowledge to help society address issues at the interface of development and the environment. ATREE accomplishes its mission (a) identifying and building broad societal consensus around the most critical environmental challenges that the country is facing (b) undertaking user-driven, long-term interdisciplinary research on the most critical challenges that can be applied to policies and on the ground; (c) engaging policy makers, conservation and development practitioners, academics, and civil society with the goal of promoting transformative changes; and (d) by preparing and training next generation of environmental leaders to take up these challenges through our innovative doctoral program in sustainability science. By bridging the gap between theory and practice, between knowledge generation and policy formulation, ATREE seeks to be impactful and transformative—in short, a ‘boundary organization’ (defined as an organization intermediate between an academic center and think tank) for sustainability. As the nation goes through a phase of rapid economic growth that balances ecological and economic needs, ATREE envisions making strong contributions towards conservation and sustainable use of the natural heritage.
The research-driven actions of ATREE are organised under two broad and complementary Centres and all its capacity building and pedagogic activities under the Academy for Conservation Science and Sustainability Studies. Research is organised under six programmes: Biodiversity Monitoring and Conservation Planning; Landscapes, Livelihoods and Conservation, and Ecosystem Services and Human Wellbeing, under the Suri Sehgal Centre for Biodiversity and Conservation, and Forests and Governance and Water, Land, and Society, and Climate Change Mitigation and Development under the Centre for Environment and Development.
ATREE has earned a solid national reputation and is currently gaining international recognition among leading academic institutions, conservation organizations, and international foundations. By 2018, we expect ATREE to have defined itself as a major South Asian organization addressing critical national- and regional-scale issues in environment and development, fostering appropriate policies and effective governance in the use of natural resources, and training high-caliber environmental leaders.
A seven member Board of Trustees that meets several times a year governs ATREE. The Board includes representatives of academia, corporations, and civil society. The Director is the Chief Executive Officer of ATREE. An Executive Committee, consisting of conveners of the 2 centers and the academy, one faculty representative to the Board and two elected representatives elected by faculty advises the Director.
The annual budget of ATREE for 2017-2018 was Rs. 20 crores (U.S. $3.1 million), out of which Rs. 10 crores ($1.5 million) is made up of grants and projects. The corpus currently stands at Rs. 45 ($7 million) crores, and needs to be increased to Rs. 200 crores by 2023. The new Director, along with the Chair of the Board of Trustees, will lead efforts to meet this target.
Reporting to the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of ATREE, the Director will:
- Lead the organization in realizing its strategic vision, overseeing the implementation and execution of its research programs
- Provide intellectual and managerial leadership internally to faculty and administrative staff; uphold ATREE’s internal strong value system
- Represent ATREE externally, and develop collaborative alliances with leading national and international organizations and government agencies
- Provide leadership for fund-raising efforts to secure resources from foundations, bilateral agencies, private donors and government agencies
- Develop financial plans, marshaling monetary and human resources to execute short- and long-term plans
- Ensure smooth operation of Board meetings, promoting excellent governance
Qualifications and Experience
- An advanced degree in natural or social sciences and a proven record of solid academic achievements to provide intellectual and strategic leadership.
- A demonstrated record of leadership in national or international organization(s), proven record in managing a complex and growing organization
- Excellent communication skills to represent the organization externally and to manage operations internally
- Proven record of successful fund-raising, financial planning and budget analysis
- Ability to foster collegiality and team building internally and networking externally
ATREE is an equal opportunity employer, and fosters diversity at the work place. Applications from women and under-privileged sectors of the society are welcome.
Please send application or nominations to Kamal Bawa, Chair, Search Committee for Director, ATREE ([email protected]). All applications and nominations will be treated as confidential. Applications and nominations will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.