Simavi is an ambitious, growing development organization of more than 50 people. Our head office is in Haarlem, Netherlands, and we have local representations in Bangladesh, Indonesia, Tanzania and Uganda. In partnership with local civil society organisations, we improve the health of marginalised communities in the poorest regions in developing countries in Africa and Asia. Together with local communities, the private sector, knowledge institutes and governments we address Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights as well as the right to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene- because we believe that those two themes are the basic determinants for a good health. We campaign to engage the general public and involve them in what we do. We are the lead agent of the WASH Alliance international (WAI), a member of the Watershed Alliance, a member of the GUSO (Get Up Speak Out) Alliance, and take part in many more initiatives and alliances.
As part of a dynamic WASH Programme Team based in Haarlem, the Programme Officer WASH Africa (Ghana / Tanzania) will work closely with the WASH Programme Teams in Haarlem and Tanzania, the Senior Programme Officers Africa and with partners in Ghana and Tanzania. The Programme Officer will develop, assess and monitor WASH projects and programmes in Ghana and Tanzania and provide support to the Simavi MKAJI programme office in Dodoma Tanzania.
The Programme Officer WASH Africa (Ghana / Tanzania) reports to the Programme Manager WASH and will work in close collaboration with the Haarlem based WASH Programme team, the Partnership Development Department in Haarlem and the Programme Manager MKAJI in Dodoma.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Provide guidance to local NGOs implementing WASH projects / programmes in Ghana funded by Simavi;
- Coordinate the WASH Alliance activities in Ghana;
- Monitor the implementation of WASH projects and programmes in Ghana funded by Simavi, including financial monitoring;
- Assessment of WASH projects in Ghana for funding.
- Support the Dodoma Tanzania based MKAJI programme team in implementing the MKAJI WASH programme in Tanzania;
- Provide guidance to the local NGOs implementing WASH projects / programmes in Tanzania funded by Simavi;
- Monitor the overall implementation of WASH projects and programmes in Tanzania funded by Simavi, including financial monitoring;.Assessment of WASH projects in Tanzania for funding;
- Assist the Senior Programme Officer’s Africa in implementation, monitoring, and development of WASH projects and programmes and in guidance to local NGO’s implementing WASH projects in other countries in Africa funded by Simavi;
- Administration of project and programme documentation;
- Provide assistance in the monitoring of results of the team;
- Provides support to the management of relations (NGOs, consultants, networks, etc);
- Contributes to the reporting requirements of external funders;
- Contribute to policy development and develop funding proposals in the field of WASH, with focus on Ghana and Tanzania.
- Academic level in the field of Development Cooperation;
- Experience in the field of WASH;
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience in Africa, preferably Ghana and / or Tanzania;
- At least 3 years of experience with project and programme management, financial management of projects and programmes and monitoring systems;
- Knowledge on sustainability and social inclusion in relation to development programmes;
- Excellent communication skills in Dutch and English;
- Dutch citizen or in possession of legal entitlement to live and work in the Netherlands;
- Team player, but also able to work independently;
- Commercial attitude (seeks contact and co-operation with third parties in order to obtain (financial) benefits for the organisation)
- Hands on mentality;
- A networker with an ability to represent Simavi in various situations.
- Fulltime contract of 36 hours per week, for 12 months;
- An interesting position in a dynamic and international working environment, with substantial personal freedom in the context of an ambitious and professional team;
- A gross monthly salary between € 2,755 – € 3,887 on a fulltime basis of 36 hours;
- Location: Haarlem, The Netherlands, with regular travels to Ghana and Tanzania
Candidates are invited to apply on August 2nd 2016 at the latest. Please send your letter and resume (in English) to [email protected], using reference Programme Officer Ghana – Tanzania. Interviews are aimed to take place between August 8th and 19th 2016.
Simavi is an inclusive international development organization and we strive for diversity in our workforce.
Commercial inquiries or job postings are not appreciated or accepted regarding this vacancy.