Based on the formulated and agreed FAO technical and advisory assistance to support the Saudi Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture (MoEWA) in the implementation of its initiatives within the context of the National Transformation Plan (NTP) 2020, seven strategic thematic clusters with the following outcomes are expected to be achieved by the FAO-KSA Unilateral Trust Fund (UTF) Technical Cooperation Programme (2017-2018):
- Enhanced capacity in ensuring sustainable food security.
- Enhanced capacity in sustainable utilization of agricultural natural resources.
- Enhanced capacity to increase sustainable marine fisheries and aquaculture production and consumption.
- Enhanced capacity in animal disease prevention and control.
- Strengthened capacity in plant production and protection.
- Enhanced capacities for improving linkages of small famers and agricultural producers to markets.
- A results-based system for monitoring and reporting performance the MoEWA’s initiatives developed and implemented.
To operationalize the formulated expected outcomes and deliver the required technical and advisory assistance, an overall programme work plan and budget is developed and approved, including activities and outputs that are expected to be accomplished under each of the above thematic clusters. Requirements for the international technical expertise of each cluster have been identified and estimated based on the nature, type and duration of the planned activities and expected outputs. In order to secure a coordinated, smooth, timely and successful implementation of the programme, long-term competent international technical experts will be appointed as Cluster Technical Advisors to each of the seven thematic clusters. Each Technical Advisor will be supported by a team of short term international experts who are technical specialists in the subject matters of the various outputs and activities.
Tasks and responsibilities:
Under the direct guidance and supervision of the Programme Director in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and the operational oversight of the Senior Field Programme Officer (SFPO) in the Regional Office for Near East and North Africa (RNE), in consultation with the National Programme Coordinator (NPC), in collaboration with the technical advisor and international technical experts of the thematic cluster, the designated national implementation partners and relevant stakeholders, the Irrigation Management expert will contribute to the accomplishment of output 2.4 “measures for rehabilitation of agriculture terraces and application of rain water harvesting technologies in the Kingdom developed” of the thematic cluster on “sustainable utilization of agricultural natural resources”. More specific, the consultant will carry out the following tasks:
- Collect, review, assess and document current situation of all types of agriculture irrigation water resources/sources available for agriculture purposes in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Identify and assess the potential water resources (fresh water, grey water, and saline) that are suitable for irrigation purposes for all kinds of agriculture, forestry and fodder cultivation taking into consideration national and international standards, environmental and socio-economic aspects.
- Assist the irrigation authority engineers in design of new irrigation and rehabilitation schemes including with details for irrigation structures, cost estimates and analysis, and for the preparation of bills of quantities and also provide technical assistance for construction supervision.
- Design and assist with the implementation quality assurance for all irrigation activities especially with regards to preparation of adequate designs of systems and implementation of construction and rehabilitation works.
- Review the irrigation authority institutional setting and capacity and provide technical assistance to support the authority to smoothly function, prepares, and implement it strategic plans, and assess the progress made.
- Assist with the organization of stakeholders mapping, and provide assistance and support to coordinate with relevant units of MoEWA at central or regional level, and other authorities and institutions.
- Design and coordinates specialized studies on grey and saline water use in agriculture, and ensure quality assurance for such studies,
- Assist the design of guidelines and standards for grey and saline water use for irrigation.
- Help the organization of Training Need Assessment (TNA) and accordingly design training prorgammes for all target groups and categories,
- Provide the on-the-job training for national staff of the technical units of the irrigation authority as well as for other government staff on related subject matters.
- Assist and provide input to support the design and establishment of an irrigation water monitoring system and data base.
- Prepare technical reports and other reports as may be required and an end of-assignment report.
- Help develop better understanding of concepts of Integrated Water Resources Management in the Kingdom and ensure its incorporation during planning, design and implementation of irrigation schemes.
- Help develop national irrigation strategy and action plan for the irrigation authority and contribute to its implementation.
- Perform any other duties as required by the Programme Director.
Candidates will be assessed against the following:
- University degree in irrigation or civil engineering or any related field.
- 10 years of work experience in irrigation and or water resources engineering and management.
- Working knowledge of English. Knowledge of Arabic is an asset
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Demonstrated work experience in development and implementation of irrigation systems operation and management.
- Strong project management skills including familiarity with the development of results frameworks; logical framework, project work plans and budget.
- Analytical skills and ability to write clear and concise reports is considered a strong asset.
- Strong skills in organizing and leading consultative processes involving various stakeholders.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
Proficiency in English is essential and familiarity with Arabic language is desirable.