The WASH Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the technical engineering direction of DRC construction projects in Somalia. This will include providing the requisite support to program activities that require engineering support including livelihoods, WASH, shelter and protection projects. The core responsibilities will include technical support with project implementation, review of project implementation, representation at external events such as cluster meetings, networking and liaison, communication, capacity-building and field staff mentorship, monitoring, reporting & evaluation.
The WASH Coordinator will review projects both at proposal and implementation stages to ensure engineering quality and control including adequate safeguards against environmental impact. S/he will provide capacity building for DRC local engineers
- Provide technical engineering support to Somalia program activities related to all construction and WASH project activities.
- Maintain accepted infrastructural standards such as those outlined in the DRC/DDG Regional Infrastructure Manual and ensure that project staff, partner agencies and recipient communities understand, accept and adhere to these standards.
- Keep abreast of WASH & Shelter sector developments, for maximum efficiency and effectiveness in WASH programme design, management and implementation and ensure that various technical Templates (including drawings, bill of quantities, bill of materials and reporting formats) are in place and well used
- Work collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss WASH priorities, resources, strategies and methodologies to ensure the most strategic use of the collective resources of external support agencies.
- Review of the technical specifications, engineering designs and work schedules to ensure consistency with the most appropriate technology and existing ministry /sector standards.
- Lead in strategic WASH programme planning discussions and the formulation of the WASH outcome and output results, related indicators, baselines, targets and means of verification, ensuring alignment with the DRC Strategic SPD and donor requirements.
- Prepare WASH and shelter donor proposals, ensuring alignment with the WASH output results in the country strategic program document and donor Guidelines.
- Review of the bill of quantities and bill of materials of the proposals to ensure the estimated costs are reasonable and comparable to the market rates.
- Review projects both at proposal and implementation stages to ensure engineering quality control including adequate safeguards against environmental impact.
- Review and advice on the bidding and tender documents and processes to ensure competitive bidding and conformity with the procurement procedures.
- Ensure the projects are implemented with the set designs, BOQs and BOMs, and project budget lines are expended within approved limit as stipulated by individual donors’ guideline as far as construction work is concern.
- Ensure the construction project activities are well coordinated and implemented in an integral manner so as to ensure effective and efficient utilization of physical and human resource during implementation.
- Regularly review the physical progress reports to ensure accuracy and consistency in reporting.
- Undertake regular field visits to carry –out technical audits during the implementation of the projects
- Representing DRC in Shelter and WASH Cluster technical issues with close consultation with the CD/DCD, RIC and relevant Area Managers.
- Representing DRC in Cluster Review Committees and Cluster workshops and ensure our visibility at country and regional level (when needed).
- Review and advice on innovative ways of carrying our hygiene promotion and awareness creation in target communities.
- Coordinate with National Program Manager in requisition, procurement and delivery of project input materials, supplies and labor as far as construction work is concerned.
- Contribute to the creation and compilation of the annual operation plans and project proposals whenever required.
- Document, share and strive to solve difficulties that may be encountered in implementation of the construction projects.
- With support of the RIC, regularly conduct training sessions for field engineers and community facilitators (who will in turn train communities and local authorities) in the use of the various standards and the technical templates including bill of quantities, bill of materials, and technical reporting templates etc.
- Train field engineer on collecting materials prices and construction unit prices, including data entry and analysis
- Share regular Report upon completion of every mission with the CD/DCD, RIC and relevant Area Managers.
- Provide technical guidance on water quality monitoring and modem gadgets that are internationally approved and train DRC staff and government counterparts.
- Share “Success Stories” in a regular manner.
- Any other task as may be assigned by direct Supervisor/Senior Management/RIC.
To be successful in this role, we expect you to be a positive, mature leader with a proven track record of developing effective initiatives, programmes, and impact.
• Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
• Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
• Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
• Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
• Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- A bachelor’s degree in Civil/Architectural Engineering or other relevant post-graduate degree. A post graduate degree will be an added advantage
- Strong knowledge of WASH and Shelter activities and implementation projects.
- Practical working knowledge on direct implementation of WASH interventions in emergencies.
- A minimum of 5 years of field experience in emergency and displacement situations and particularly Somalia.
- Practical knowledge of AutoCAD, Arch cad, ArcGIS or other GIS programmes is required.
- Willingness and physical ability to perform field missions in rural areas under restricted security conditions
- Excellent organizational skills, self-motivated, proactive and able to accomplish set deadlines.
- Very honest and trustworthy person
- Willing to travel and can work under pressure
- Good problem solving and social skills and creative, to think of alternative solutions;
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communications skills;
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Stable and robust character and a good team-player
- Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor
DRC encourages all qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of nationality, race, gender or age.
Availability: 1st June 2018 or As soon As possible
Duty station: Hargeisa, with frequent travel to field offices in Somalia; this is a non-family and unaccompanied positon.
Reporting: Deputy Country Director
Duration: 1year contract possibility of extension, subject to performance and funding.
Contract: Salary and conditions in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Global Expatriates(available at www.drc.dk under Vacancies).This position is graded as A15 for qualified National staff the terms of employment will be in accordance with DRC terms for National staff
Commitments: DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework (http://www.drc.dk/HAF.4265.0.html). All DRC staff must be committed to the Red Cross Code of Conduct, as well as the Core Humanitarian Standards.
Qualified candidates are invited to access the full job description and the requirements for this position under vacancies at www.drc.dk. Please submit applications online using this link by 7th May 2018
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact [email protected]
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/jobsupport.