It’s hard to believe that today 844 million people do not have clean water and 2.3 billion do not have a decent toilet – around one in three of the world’s population. Every two minutes a child under five dies from diarrheal diseases caused by poor water and sanitation.
WaterAid is looking for a Research Associate to play a vital role in our mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone, everywhere by 2030.
Working within the Research team, Research Associate will:
- Work under the overall supervision of the Urban WASH manager of WaterAid based in the respective Country Program and direct guidance of the research lead for all activities undertaken in respect to the research work
- Work with research lead to compile best practices in Faecal Sludge Management (FSM) – it could be case studies in enabling environment, to inclusive design, to empowerment, etc. and support finalization of study cities
- Support cross-country institutional framework analysis – identification of Identification of the key stakeholders and their roles, data collection from selected stakeholders, coordinate/help in review and analysis of the data collected and finalization of the report on ‘cross-country analysis of the policy/institutional and regulatory framework on FSM’
- Support framework design for the detailed city-level study – identification of data needs and finalization of key stakeholders
- Support in the secondary data collection for the initial desk-top research work and the comparative city-level analysis, as guided by the research lead
- Travel (as needed) to the FSM initiatives in-country, engage with and collect relevant data using various tools from stakeholders identified at city-level
- Support data diagnostics, comparative SWOT analysis of cities selected as guided by the research lead
- Support planning and dissemination of the research findings within WA and other stakeholders (webinars, blogs, on various forums, newspaper articles, and even social media as needed)
- Provide all necessary support as required for the administration of the research study – logistics, travels, meetings, collection of information etc.
To be successful, you’ll need to have:
- Master/equivalent degree in Environmental / Social Sciences or Research related.
- 1 to 2 years demonstrated research experience in WASH related activities, with strong field work dimension.
- Capable to conduct literature review, interviews, focus group discussions and analysis thereof
- Experience in writing technical papers, project briefs, “best practices” to contribute in knowledge management.
See the job description below.
We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges.
In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, apply through visiting [email protected]
Please note: to apply for this role you must be able to demonstrate your eligibility to work in Pakistan.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted.