San Francisco Baykeeper is seeking to fill a new Communications Associate position to help tell Baykeeper’s story. Since 1989, Baykeeper has been the leading citizen enforcement group protecting San Francisco Bay from pollution. We use science, advocacy, and litigation to strengthen clean water laws and hold polluters accountable. Organizational victories have resulted in stopping heavy metal pollution, reducing sewage spills, and passing state laws to keep oil out of San Francisco Bay.
Baykeeper seeks a Communications Associate with excellent writing skills to communicate the value of our mission and to turn our scientific advocacy and legal victories into compelling stories to inspire multiple audiences via various channels. This position will play a key role in expanding Baykeeper’s visibility throughout the Bay Area and enhancing the communications and fundraising work of Baykeeper’s development team. The position reports to the Development Director and works closely with the Executive Director, part-time Staff Writer, and Development Associate.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with developing creative storytelling content and imagery for Baykeeper’s website, newsletters, presentations, videos, donor acknowledgements, fundraising mailings, social media posts, and traditional media outreach.
- Manage strategic press outreach for immediate-release news and organize dynamic media events.
- Increase Baykeeper’s media coverage by writing compelling media pitches and researching and building relationships with new media outlets.
- Field and route media inquiries and keep track of local, statewide, and national media coverage.
- Increase media attendance and support media relations at Baykeeper events.
- Develop Baykeeper’s social media presence through existing and new social media outlets and help cultivate relationships with key audiences and media contacts.
- Manage Baykeeper’s extensive photo stock and edit photos for use in multiple settings.
- Design production pieces including HTML emails, social media images, and event materials.
- Manage print vendors and place and track print orders.
- Customize donor thank-you templates and acknowledgment letters to recognize giving history and relationships.
- Support Baykeeper’s events.
- Represent Baykeeper at external community events.
- Assist with answering phones, opening mail, and fielding inquiries from the public.
- Impeccable written and oral communications skills.
- 2-3 years experience writing some or all of the following, preferably in a nonprofit context: social media posts; website content; newsletter articles, media releases, media advisories, and media pitches; donor thank you letters; fundraising mailings; grant proposals and reports; annual reports.
- Experience with photo management and photo editing software (e.g. Adobe Fireworks and Photoshop).
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office software.
- Superior attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Willingness to take on a wide variety of tasks in a small nonprofit environment.
- Demonstrated experience in nonprofit pursuits. Demonstrated commitment to environmental protection.
- Willingness to work occasional extended hours for events on evenings and weekends.
- A sense of humor and grace under pressure.
- Experience conducting press outreach and media contact management in a nonprofit setting.
- Graphic design skills and knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Illustrator.
- HTML email design experience with Dreamweaver or similar email layout program.
- Familiarity with posting to a Drupal website or similar CMS.
The physical demands of the tasks described here include utilizing computer, phone, and copying equipment, participating in public events, occasional travel, and visual design work. These demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Baykeeper provides equal employment and advancement opportunities to everyone. Employment decisions are based on merit, qualifications and abilities.
Compensation, Benefits, and Culture
This is a full-time, non-exempt position reporting to the Development Director. The starting salary for this position is $22.11 per hour (or $46,000 per year, assuming a typical 40-hour work week). Baykeeper places the highest value on its employees and employee retention, and is committed to continuously building on our collaborative and flexible workplace environment. We value a healthy work-life balance and offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, which currently includes comprehensive medical and dental coverage for eligible employees with no employee premium contribution, a generous employer 401(k) contribution following one year of employment, options for pre-tax flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care costs, and generous paid time off.
If you are interested in and qualified for this position, please send your résumé and a cover letter to [email protected], subject line “[YOUR LAST NAME], Communications Associate.” If your materials indicate a potential match to our requirements, we will contact you. Please, no phone calls or emails to the office regarding this opening. Position open until filled; interviews will begin August 1, 2016.