The WALIS project (Water for Africa through Leadership and Institutional Support) is a five-year initiative that runs from September 2015 to September 2020. It aims to support the national and regional institutions and their development partners to improve the capacity of water sectors to implement national policies, strategies, and plans that will deliver sustainable Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) services.
The WALIS team is based in Washington, DC and manages work in Sub-Saharan Africa. The Program and Communications Coordinator will support the Operations Manager to oversee all administrative, contractual, and financial aspects of the project, including support for management of the small grants program.
The position is critical for the smooth operation of this expanding project. Successful candidate will be highly detail-oriented, proactive, possess outstanding communication skills, and be able to problem solve on an ad hoc basis. The position is estimated to have 5-10% international travel per year but may vary over time.
- Provide routine administrative support to the project on an on ‐ going basis.
- Maintain project files and electronic data, including technical, financial, administrative and personnel data.
- Coordinate travel and event logistics for staff and WALIS partners, as required.
- Track travel requests and approvals.
- Support the procurement process for goods and services in support of project activities.
- Support subcontractors in operations-related tasks such as EBD verification, limitation of funds notifications, etc.
- Support the Operations Manager in grant management including the tracking of advance and invoice reconciliation and coordination with the Home Office support teams.
- Draft rate approval requests for new STTA and LTTA staff.
- Submit consultant and subcontractor invoices and ensure on-time payment.
- Coordinate with the Operations Manager on submissions for contract modifications.
- Audit project expense reports, consultant invoices and non-purchase order supplier invoices.
- In cooperation with the WALIS Operations Manager and Home Office, coordinate the subcontracting process, ensuring the timely assembling and completion of subcontracts, independent contractor agreements, fixed price purchase orders, etc.
- Review subcontractor invoices and provide feedback as appropriate.
- Support in the monitoring of Contract compliance (reports, deliverables, contract modifications, extensions, add-ons).
- Support in the monitoring of subcontract and consultant compliance (reports, deliverables, contract modifications, extensions, add-ons).
- Responsibility for submission and execution of all Oracle-related tasks (procurement, PO, PO modifications), working with the Home Office team for approval.
- Support with project close-down activities.
- Provide overall project support to activities and events.
- Lead project communications efforts including coordination with USAID’s CKM project and maintenance of www.globalwaters.org , drafting success stories, blog posts and other relevant material.
- Lead project social media materials and marketing.
- Support project messaging such as creating newsletters, event invitations and other outreach efforts.
- Support project staff in report writing including fact-checking and research as required.
- Other responsibilities as required.
- Grade 6 Minimum of 3 years of relevant administrative or technical professional experience and a bachelor’s degree or 1 year of experience and a master’s degree.
- Grade 5 Minimum of 2 years of relevant administrative or technical professional experience and a bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree.
- Database management knowledge (Oracle preferred).
- Financial management capabilities, including budgeting, accruals, and projections.
- Demonstrated administrative skills and attention to details.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Must be able to travel on assignments for DAI projects (minimum one assignment per year).
- French language skills.
- Additional desired competencies/skills: problem solving, ability to work independently, analytical skills, organizational skills, and effective interpersonal skills.
Reporting: The WALIS Program and Communications Coordinator will report to the Operations Manager.