The BlueGreen Alliance (BGA) seeks qualified candidates for the position of Senior Policy Advisor in our Washington, D.C. office.
BGA unites America’s largest labor unions and its most influential environmental organizations to identify ways today’s environmental challenges can create and maintain quality jobs and build a stronger, fairer economy.
The organization’s efforts center on the immediate need to develop commonsense solutions to our environmental challenges in a way that creates and maintains quality, family-sustaining jobs across the economy. Our staff and supporters design public policies, perform research, and run public education and advocacy campaigns to advocate for practical solutions; facilitate dialogue between environmentalists, union members and other stakeholders; and educate America’s labor union members and environmentalists about the economic and environmental impacts of climate change and the job-creating opportunities of environmental protections.
Job Summary: BGA is seeking a dynamic and experienced professional to join our team as Senior Policy Advisor to help lead policy and partnership efforts in Washington, D.C. The Director will work in close coordination with BGA’s Director of Legislation and Policy, BGA national and state staff, and BGA partner organizations to develop and implement BGA’s policy and legislative agenda on a variety of issues, including climate change, energy, water, and other BGA priorities. The Senior Advisor will report to the Executive Vice President.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include, but are not limited, to:
- Manage policy development and advocacy efforts and campaigns regarding climate change, energy, and water initiatives, guiding internal staff efforts in addition to convening representatives from BGA’s 15 labor unions and environmental groups;
- Manage relationships and direct and execute policy development and advocacy efforts across a spectrum of policymakers, coalitions, business and community groups;
- Advance BGA priorities among Congress and the Administration, conducting education and outreach to key officials and regulators at the national and state level;
- Identify and seek new program opportunities, including proposal development, meeting with potential funders, and evaluating program progress.
- Develop and review public messaging and materials, to include white papers, reports, presentations, press and online materials; and
- Ensure regular communications and updates on BGA initiatives among staff and partner organizations.
- Other duties as required.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Bachelor degree required, masters degree preferred with 5 to 7 years of prior work experience in policy, advocacy or business. Experience/knowledge regarding climate change, energy, water, and/or labor issues is a plus. The individual should also have high competency in the following areas:
- Experience working either directly for Capitol Hill/federal agencies or closely with legislative and/or executive branch offices;
- Self‐starting, highly motivated, able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and preference for working in a fast‐paced environment.
- Ability to assist in the planning, coordinating, and implementing federal legislative strategies that involve mobilizing a diverse coalition of organizations;
- Experience developing policy proposals, writing persuasive educational materials, lobbying legislators and staff, and mobilizing voters and key constituents;
- Superior knowledge of climate/energy/water policy and legislative/executive processes;
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and orientation to building collaborative structures;
- Willingness and ability to live in the DC area and travel periodically; and
- A deep commitment to the mission of the BlueGreen Alliance.