We are seeking to recruit Principal Water Network Engineer/Modeller to be based in our Guildford/Croydon/London office, working locally with our client in Reading or Falmer and interfacing with our modelling team in Croydon. We’re looking for candidates who demonstrate enthusiasm for modelling, smart networks and data science who are focused on delivering exception projects which may involve innovative modelling techniques and outcomes. We need a team player who can effectively collaborate with other teams and disciplines in order to develop informative and highly robust outcomes. The role will require you to be based on client site locations for extended periods of time.
Arcadis is the leading global Design & Consultancy firm for natural and built assets. Applying our deep market sector insights and collective design, consultancy, engineering, project and management services we work in partnership with our clients to deliver exceptional and sustainable outcomes throughout the lifecycle of their natural and built assets. We are 27,000 people active in over 70 countries that generate €3.4 billion in revenues. We support UN-Habitat with knowledge and expertise to improve the quality of life in rapidly growing cities around the world. Arcadis. Improving quality of life.
About The Team:
Our team is involved in a wide range of stimulating projects that are diverse and technically demanding. Our current projects range from small scale investigation to large-scale risk management strategies, covering everything in-between. We have an enviable reputation in the delivery of modelling schemes and are working closely with some of the UK’s most established and recognisable utilities companies including Southern Water, South West Water, Wessex Water and Thames Water, plus the Environment Agency and other flood risk management Authorities. We also work with large municipal infrastructure clients in the Middle East.
A significant proportion of our workload is the development and application of clean water models, typically to support design, optimise network performance and address issues which contribute to the management of networks. We also undertake smart network and smart metering strategic studies and support our clients in deployment of some of the latest technology using complex modelling techniques and data analytics. Beyond modelling, we’ve created master plans for a variety of clients looking to consolidate urban growth with investment planning, contingency and resilience planning forging new strategies to manage increasing pressures on water systems.
Overview of Role:
You will be responsible for developing and delivering modelling projects and tasks to meet budget, time-frame and quality targets, aiming to exceed client expectations. You will promote and market all facets of our services during interfaces with clients and other sectors and disciplines, contributing towards the achievement of the business plan and to build networks within the industry. You will also focus on developing new services and innovation within modelling, alongside other modellers, specifically in integrated modelling environment and large-scale master planning.
- Leading water network team in the delivery of model build studies, distribution zonal or strategic network studies and other related feasibility studies for a range of UK and international Clients
- Representing Arcadis to our clients, both in our offices and whilst embedded in their organisations, including interfacing with and providing them with advice. The role includes a requirement to assist in the growth of the business.
- Identifying resource requirements and recruiting and developing a team of Senior and Junior networks modellers and engineers
- Managing technical project inputs, taking responsibility for resources, quality assurance and client feedback and ensuring effective communication throughout the project lifecycle. Scheduling of work for sub-contractors and third party survey teams, and liaison during the projects.
- Undertaking model build, verification, simulation and solution analysis within InfoWorks/InfoWater/Epanet models, including for resolution of hydraulic capacity, contingency planning, real time analysis and forecasting and generally providing technical project input and reviews, resolving issues and demonstrating technical leadership.
- Network Optimisation.
- Spatial mapping and data visualisation.
- Pipeline sizing / design and reservoir / storage design and developing specifications and documentation at detailed design.
- Surge/transient analysis (using Wanda/Flowmaster/VariSim)
- Distribution quality studies including flushing scheduling, self-cleansing networks.
- Become completely familiar and compliant with Health and Safety regulations and to promote a culture of safety awareness within your team.
- Have the opportunity to interact with and learn from your international colleagues, including incorporating our wider team members from Bangalore and Manilla in to your work.
- Build your profile in the industry, keep up-to-date with innovations and developments.
- Develop a breadth of skill and experience that will allow you to influence and take control of your career direction to meet your aspirations.
Minimum Academic Qualifications:
- Degree in an appropriate analytical and / or geographically based subject (Civil Engineering, Environmental Science, Water Resources, Water Management, Hydraulic Engineering, Data Science)
- Masters degree in an appropriate subject
- Chartered with ICE or CIWEM
- Competent in the use of InfoWorks/InfoWater/Epanet
- Sufficient and appropriate experience within UK water sector
- Good, ideally exceptional skills in GIS database management, spatial data manipulation and map production (MapInfo / ArcGIS / QGIS)
- Experience in general water network management projects including leakage studies
- Planning and design of UK-based network upgrade schemes (e.g. upsizing / storage tanks / DMA design)
- Experience in water infrastructure assessments, undertaking developer impact assessments, leakage assessments.
- Preparing offers and supporting marketing and business development activities
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
- Strong MS Excel competency
- Excellent report writing skills
- Practical experience of smart network technology, either modelling or design of automated systems
- Practical experience in optimisation of network performance
- Experience of project management, specifically time / programme management
- Experience in the commercial aspects of project delivery
What We Offer:
We offer a dynamic challenging job with international focus in a pleasant working climate, attention to education and a competitive remuneration package reflecting the seniority of the role. You will have a great deal of responsibility with endless opportunity for impact and freedom for initiatives. Given the international spread of the business a certain level of flexibility in working hours is important.