Job Number: 512306 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Asia and the Pacific: Vanuatu
Work Type : Temporary Appointment
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, proper Water, Hygiene & Sanitations in Schools
UNICEF Pacific is a Multi-Country Office based in Suva, Fiji that supports UNICEF programmes and operations in 14 Pacific Island Countries in the areas of Education, Child Protection, Child Survival and Development, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene, Finance, Human Resources, Administration and Information Technology. UNICEF Pacific has three Field Offices in Vanuatu, Solomon Islands and Kiribati.
How can you make a difference?
A WASH Specialist (TA) for Vanuatu is being sought to provide technical assistance for the implementation of the WASH in Schools Programme, in partnership with the Ministry of Education and Training of Vanuatu. The WASH in Schools programme aligns with the UNICEF Pacific Multi Country Programme (2018-2022) with particular attention to the operationalization of governments’ commitments to increase the resilience of all children and their families against water and sanitation related diseases at homes, in schools and in healthcare facilities in ordinary times and during emergencies. The programme is responsive to the needs of children with a disability, adolescent children and adolescent girls’ needs during menstruation in schools.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have: An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Public / Environmental Health, Civil / Sanitation Engineering, Geology, Hydrology or a field relevant to international WASH related development assistance.
- A minimum of five years of professional work experience in WASH-related programmes for developing countries, including longer-term deployment in a developing country.
- Experience on WASH in schools and menstrual hygiene management
- Working experience within the Pacific region or with exposure to small island country contexts.
- Experience in design, construction and supervision of WASH infrastructure.
- Exposure to gender mainstreaming.
- Exposure to communication for development.
- Experience in working with NGOs and coordinating delivery of outputs is an asset.
- Oral and written proficiency in English is required and knowledge of the local language (Bislama) is strongly preferred. Knowledge of French is considered an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate:
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
This TA position is for one year, within a 2-year programme, with possibilities of extension for the second year
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Opening Date Wed Apr 11 2018 16:00:00 GMT-0600 (MDT) Central Pacific Standard Time
Closing Date Thu Apr 26 2018 06:55:00 GMT-0600 (MDT)